The Business Of Logo Design

impulsive106

On this board, I'm typically a lurker. I like to see new concepts as well as new logos unveiled for sports organizations. I see identity development as an art, and it is rare that I am inspired to make a statement on a piece. I'm not particularly talented in drawing at all, but I'm interested in the marketing and business component that accompanies designing a logo/identity package, which is why I am studying business at college now.

I would just like to know what are the specifics in submitting a package to an organization? What are the pay rates for freelance designers? Is there residual payment? Do you design the jerseys or is that left up to the clothing manufacturers (i.e. Nike, Reebok, etc.). I've always wondered about these things and I'd just like to know if anyone can enlighten me on these questions. Thanks.

i guess the charges vary with the project.....i typically charge $60/hour for my services as a starting point....if it's a simple design, i go down from that...if it's more complex, that rate goes up......i generally go by what the client wants, how many different proofs they require, whether they want to retain copyright, etc. when i decide on pricing....

after logo design/company identity, i have flat rates for business cards, letterhead, annual reports (based on page numbers), etc.

And you do all this by yourself Joel or is it with a company?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived