Kansas City Chiefs/ uniform colors

nogamesnolan

One other thing worth mentioning: the hypocycloids (the diamond-shaped things in the logo) do have a meaning, for those unfamiliar: yellow for coal, orange for ore (Imma say that one again: ORANGE--many just assume it's red), and blue for steel scrap--the elements used to create steel. The Steelmark logo itself also had a meaning when it was created, something along the lines of "steel lightens your work, brightens your leisure, and widens your world" (I don't remember exactly how it goes). Oh--and the Steelmark logo was/is actually meant to represent the entire steel industry across the U.S. (That might be a contributing factor to the Steeler Nation being as big as it is. :P )

It is true that the Steelmark logo is Orange, but at some point, the Steelers recolored it to RED.

In fact, the Steelers' throwbacks use different shades of Yellow, Red (Red-Orange), Blue and Gray:

PittsburghSteelers_AUC_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

...as opposed to the current color palette which is this:

PittsburghSteelers_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

That Red is PANTONE 186 C. Not very many people would call that Orange.

It's interesting you just posted that.

Back when the Steelers had their 75th anniversary, I got the dubious task of doing some promo work for them at my civilian place of employmeny. Included in a bunch of files they sent was the 75th anniversary logo in vector, as well as some .PSD files, some of which also had some spot color in it. I gotta go back and look at all those to see exactly what it was, but the "red" on those files wasn't 186. Not saying Don's wrong here (and frankly, who'd be dumb emough to challenge the guy?), but at that time I thought it to be strange that the red hypocycloid (or what I thought at the time was red) was much closer to orange than red (hell...I thought it was red myself all that time). I think that's what really got me to wondering whether it was supposed to be red or orange, especially since I'd heard from other people (namely, some of the execs I spoke with up at the Steel Building in downtown Pgh on an entirely different assignment) that it was in fact orange rather than red (at least on USS's Steelmark logo--I shoulda been more specific as to which logo I was referring then).

So Don...thanks for clearing that one up.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived