Kansas City Chiefs/ uniform colors

nogamesnolan

I wanted to know if anyone has any pics of the Arrowhead "A" in the middle of the field back in the 70's? Also about the Chiefs uniforms, I think that they are among the classics and should stay that way. I see no room for black and would look awful like the Royals when they did it. Sports teams are trying to be more fashionable instead of maintaining their true identity. I will agree that some teams can identify better with changes but then some don't.

In fact, my list of teams that's awful when black was added.

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted to know if anyone has any pics of the Arrowhead "A" in the middle of the field back in the 70's? Also about the Chiefs uniforms, I think that they are among the classics and should stay that way. I see no room for black and would look awful like the Royals when they did it. Sports teams are trying to be more fashionable instead of maintaining their true identity. I will agree that some teams can identify better with changes but then some don't.

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

The Jays didn't "add" black, they changed their identity entirely to accommodate it. The other teams you mentioned didn't change their look when adding black.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I wanted to know if anyone has any pics of the Arrowhead "A" in the middle of the field back in the 70's? Also about the Chiefs uniforms, I think that they are among the classics and should stay that way. I see no room for black and would look awful like the Royals when they did it.

They already have black in their uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wanted to know if anyone has any pics of the Arrowhead "A" in the middle of the field back in the 70's? Also about the Chiefs uniforms, I think that they are among the classics and should stay that way. I see no room for black and would look awful like the Royals when they did it.

The only place there is black in the Chiefs uniforms is the border for the arrowhead logo.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

The only place there is black in the Chiefs uniforms is the border for the arrowhead logo.

Which is part of their uniform.

The fact that it only exists on one part of their uniform is what makes their set fail IMO. Black only appears on the lids, and yellow only appears from the neck down. That's not good design IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

I like the addition of black in the current Knicks' uniform set. However, I will have to agree that the original black triangular side paneled uniforms weren't very good. Of course, the old orange-blue-whites will always hold a special place for me.

The fact that it only exists on one part of their uniform is what makes their set fail IMO. Black only appears on the lids, and yellow only appears from the neck down. That's not good design IMO.

Which is what has bugged me about these uniforms for as long as I've been following the NFL (a long time!).

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

Kansas City Royals*

I crossed off the teams with whom the addition of black was an upgrade. I also added the Kansas City Royals to that list. Even though they solved their problem, they can still be used as a bad example.

You know if the addition of black was always a really awful thing, why haven't all of those teams changed? They are still making money because their respective fans think they look good. They have been buying black-induced merchandise for years in some cases. Sometimes, just sometimes, it's better to look past the 80s and move on. I would not want television to go back to black and white, just because some shows before my time were timeless classics. I don't ever want to use a VCR again. I would not want my friends to start dressing like hippies...

This is comming from someone who is generally pro-vintage. Alts are fine. Nods to the past are fine. But sometimes, let's try to move on a bit.

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

Kansas City Royals*

I crossed off the teams with whom the addition of black was an upgrade. I also added the Kansas City Royals to that list. Even though they solved their problem, they can still be used as a bad example.

I wouldn't say the Reds, Knicks and definately not the Lions, were an upgrade. The Reds re-do in 2007 was an upgrade. It kept the black, but lessened it and what was left was in a much better look than the intial drenching of black in 1999. The Knicks isn't too bad, I guess. Lions was completely unnecessary and crap. The Niners, as has recently been discussed as naseum, wasn't so much an addition as much as using it a little more in the whole set when it was already used. Either way, their's was probably the best update using black.

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

Kansas City Royals*

You know if the addition of black was always a really awful thing, why haven't all of those teams changed? They are still making money because their respective fans think they look good. They have been buying black-induced merchandise for years in some cases. Sometimes, just sometimes, it's better to look past the 80s and move on. I would not want television to go back to black and white, just because some shows before my time were timeless classics. I don't ever want to use a VCR again. I would not want my friends to start dressing like hippies...

This is comming from someone who is generally pro-vintage. Alts are fine. Nods to the past are fine. But sometimes, let's try to move on a bit.

You think the Knicks and Lions UPGRADED when they added black.

Wow.

How does the braille keyboard work, anyway?

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

Kansas City Royals*

You think the Knicks and Lions UPGRADED when they added black.

Wow.

How does the braille keyboard work, anyway?

Wow, I just spit Coke all over my desk, narrowly avoiding the monitor.

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

I'd add the A's. I think the black hats and jerseys are hideous.

New York Mets

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

New York Knicks

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

I'd add the A's. I think the black hats and jerseys are hideous.

That's a good call. The A's have such a unique color combination for baseball that they shouldn't ruin it by having the black junk

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

Where I will give credit to the A's (and this is almost like a backhanded compliment), is that instead of muddying up there look with black, they just about come out and admit they're only doing it for the merchandising money.

They put out a black cap to be worn with a black jersey, and outside of that they don't use black anywhere on anything.

It breaks some design principles, but if you absolutely have to scratch the ugly black itch, that's one slightly acceptable way of doing it.

Which is what has bugged me about these uniforms for as long as I've been following the NFL (a long time!).

79826631pm1.png

shruggingml1.gif

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

I remember I did a Chiefs concept using only red and yellow, utilizing both colors on the helmet as well as the uniform itself.

and for the record, the 49ers have a history of having black in thier color scheme going back to the 50s, and they officially describe thier first uniforms in the late 40s as being CARDINAL red. So its not just to be cool, there is a point to it. End of discussion.

and for the record, the 49ers have a history of having black in thier color scheme going back to the 50s, and they officially describe thier first uniforms in the late 40s as being CARDINAL red. So its not just to be cool, there is a point to it. End of discussion.

Of course, that doesn't matter to anyone here - the 49ers just added black out of nowhere. And they should go back to the 80s uniforms immediately - forget that there's no gold anywhere on the jersey and the pants are flat khaki.

BUT THEY WERE AWESOME!!!@!~

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived