Triathletes...

Alphabet Man

I am kind-of-sort-of a triathlete. I did train in 2008 to run triathlons, however I tore my ACL a week before the first one I was supposed to compete in. I managed to run the first one, then spent 3 months in a cast. I spent about 4 months training, and I was just competeing in the sprint tri's (short distance).

For anything longer then sprint/beginner tri's it will take about 6mths to train for. The major mistake I made was trying to use a moutain bike for a 10 mile road course. Training, is kind of up to you. I first focused mainly on running and swimming, I didn't get a bike till a week before the tri. The main things is to be comfortable with the distance you are doing. The one I did was 300m swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run. A couple weeks before the triathlon I was swimming 800 m, then running 4 miles everyday.

What techincal questions do you have? I can tell jumping in to lakes at 6am, is cold, it is cold when you get in the water and cold when you get out of the water.

~~the dmr~~

Awesome dmr. Sorry about the ACL problems.

Do you guys train lightly delibrately? I mean, I 've read a few programs, but they only incorporate two sessions a day and it doesn't look intense. Like there's not much tempo runs. The rides are just hour long rides. I suppose its different, I'm a runner and a cyclist used to the long hours running or cycling. Is there a specific way to swim? I've heard double cross-over kicks work well in open water, but is it practical? Is it best to stay with the main peloton on the ride leg (if the rules allow it) or can you try break away and run home well? My cycling is my strong leg, followed by running and swimming, so I'd probably want to do all I can on that leg.

Transistions.....a few programs allow for brick sessions of ride to run. Is that transition all that difficult? What tips do you have? Short steps? And then what about swimming to riding, is that just straight forward?

I'll be running my first (and swimming and riding) triathlon in december, with possibly an adventure race the next week.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The training level depends on what physica shape you start out with. Most of the books assume you are going from couch potato to triathlon. A word of warning though about training, a lot of it looks light and easy, until you do it everyday for 6mths. The work out then add in walking around campus, walking home, etc makes for an over all tiring day.

For swimming, unless you are trying to win it, a simple overhead crawl with good form will suffice. The craw is the easiest stroke to learn and is the most efficent. The more complex kicks take longer to learn, and they work more of your inner thigh and hips (which will come in to play on the bike and run). Practicing for the swim, I would do double the distance non-stop in the stroke I was going to use, then I would swim the length in a different stroke. This made the workout more entertaining and it was fun to learn new strokes. Transitioning from swim to bike is basic nothing special. Are you going wear a swim suit or tri-shorts?

Biking is biking. Nothing really to say about it. Transitioning from bike to run, sucks. You are tired and your legs are jello. For the last part of bike switch to a low gear, so you increase your RPM's. This gets your legs ready for running.

Running, this first part of the run I couldnt feel my legs.

The triathlon I ran was non-sanctioned so the rule book was only a dozen pages or so. If you are running in a sanctioned one, there are all sorts of rules about biking, drafting, tranisiton rules, etc.

I am going to try and run one again in May.

~~the dmr~~

Thanks for the tips.

I'm looking to run one thats aimed at weekend warriors so i don't think theyd mind if we draft of each other or not. I'd be looking to wear tri-shorts.... won't have to worry about changing out of a wetsuit. I'm gonna do a duathlon in May so that will give me an experience of bike to run. I've just gotta develop the swimming a bit. I'm not great at it but it's something I'll get the hang off with more practice.

I don't know if I'd stick with specific tri training for 6 months, maybe 6 weeks in the lead up. I run marathons and ride 150k once a week plus ride to work so i've got the fitness. I have a 6 week gap between the Melbourne Marathon and training for RacingThePlanet Australia begins, so its more about doing something different in between, but soemthing i'll do for years to come. Obviously the aim is to compete in the ultimate triathlon - the Ironman. But lets start with soemthing shorter first!

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived