Pre-game dunk costs team playoff game

BrySmalls

On the other hand, while I understand why that rule is in place, I'm not seeing the real problem if the basketball players do some dunking during the warmups, those are practice shots. They're practicing their jump shots and layups and whatever, why not let them practice dunking while they're at it, but with the added risk that if you break the backboard because you were showing off making a dunk, your team forfeits, but if you want to do it, knock yourself out?

I don't think you can punish a team with a forfeit for doing something legal. Either way, you don't want to break a backboard in high school, so you don't want to risk it by allowing the dunking.

I think it's a good rule to make dunking illegal. I like it as a "T", as I think such an act should "hurt" and not "kill" a team, but because of the cost of backboards and that this is high school, I think it's totally appropriate that they forfeit. A game cannot be played today, so you in it on who's fault it is.

It would be rough to be the kid, but the coach is to blame. Don't tell kids they can dunk. Even if it's not against the rules, any decent coach would not let his players do it. Warmups are not supposed to become dunk contests.

I see your point about needing dunking during the warmups to be illegal so you can't force a team to forfeit for doing something legal. I've never been on a basketball team, so I wouldn't know how the practice sessions are whatsoever. I'd never heard of such a rule in place until I heard about that technical foul in that one college game a few days ago where it was 1-0 before the tip-off even happened. That's why I didn't see any problem with him doing the dunks in the warmup.

At the same time, though, if they're afraid that dunking during the warmups could result in the shattering of the backboards, exactly like what happened in this game, wouldn't they also be worried about something like that happening during the actual game and also ban dunking altogether?

This is the part where the argument of, "Dunking contests during the warmups are not sportsmanlike" moves into play, though, so I guess the rule does make more sense. It's no good if a much stronger team demoralizes a weaker team by going in before the game even starts and showing them up. Stupid "superstars" don't get to show off for whichever girl they're currently going out with and/or "the boys" make an ass of himself before the game begins, and that's always a good thing, too. And that's probably exactly what this kid was doing, he was trying to show off, broke the backboard, cost his team the game and probably the tournament they were playing in. I'm sure "the boys" and "the girlfriend" were thrilled, lol.

I had known about the rule being a technical in high school, it happened before one of the JV games here. I still think the forfeit exists.

LvZYtbZ.png

Stupid "superstars" don't get to show off for whichever girl they're currently going out with and/or "the boys"

Nothing stupid about keeping your options open in today's ever-changing adolescent world.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Dunking a basketball does not naturally cause a backboard to shatter. Maybe it was worn-out or shoddy equipment. The game should be rescheduled.

Which...I know this is off topic...but you guys remember how Shaq broke backboards like every other week? Those were rigged for NBA pub right? Nobody has broke a backboard in the NBA since his rookie year I think...

I think they came out with new backboards soon thereafter which had different support structures and distributed weight differently, not to mention better breakaway rims being developed...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived