More pictures

pheer

I do love the shot of the little girl against the glass, although looking at it from strictly a newspaper perspective, I don't know where I would fit it in. But neat nonetheless.

What kind of rig are you shooting with? Settings? Lens? And I assume you're right down near the ice, shooting through the glass? Hockey arenas are notoriously tough buildings to shoot in, but it looks like you're doing a decent job so far.

Shooting with a Canon Rebel XT, with generally an 18-55 or a 75-300... The last set was right on the glass, as I was able to sneak down to some empty seats... Like I said, the more I shoot, the more I learn... I took one shot the game before this that I printed out and gave it to the front office to do with as they pleased, with one copy going to the player (Goaltender Joe Fallon).

Thanks for the comment... It is all a work in progress, and I hope to have Sports Illustrated-type shots by next season. I know that is a high bar to set for myself, but I believe I can hit it.

Sounds like you're shooting with pretty much the same rig I use. My Digital Rebel's about five years old, but it still gets the job done.

I downloaded one of your shots and took a look at the properties, and I see you're shooting at 400 ISO. Bump that up to at least 800, maybe even 1600. The photos are going to be grainier, but that will allow you to get better exposure in low-light conditions like hockey arenas and use a faster shutter speed, freezing the action better.

Also, while the 18-55mm and 75-300mm lens are good, if you're serious about this, keep an eye out to see if you can snag a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens or something similar on the cheap. I found a Canon-mount Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 on Craigslist last year for $650 ? about half what you could expect to pay for it retail. It has been a godsend, even though it's still making a huge dent on my Visa bill.

Thanks for the advice... I am still kind of new to all of the gear specs, so I will look out for one... I may be getting a 70-200 shortly, as my parents are on a cruise to the Bahamas where camera gear is cheap.

Archived