Marine Raiders Patch Redux

StPatty33

Hey all!

I don't venture out of the sports design forums much, and even then I've been away for months and months. I thought for Memorial Day in America I would pay tribute by reviving an old military patch. My Grandfather was a member of the 2nd Marine Raiders battalion (famous for the Makin Island raid--also the subject of the film Gung-Ho!). On the left was the original patch they wore, and on the right is a modern-day tribute version I put together. I hope nobody takes this as disrespectful--I simply wanted to pay tribute in my own way.

I thought I'd put a bit of perspective in it, and I added the bar at the bottom for another dimension. For all I know a yellow bar on a marine patch would be completely incorrect--if so I could use a different color instead.

Anyway, C&C welcome as always.

RaidersPatch.png

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

I like the more vivid colors and the perspective. However, I don't like the new skull. It's not so much a sports logo where everything modern is "mean" and aggressive. The skull on the original patch is simply a skull. While, I don't know the history or meaning behind this unit's coat of arms, I'd wager they included the heraldic symbol of the human skull (especially on a red field) to represent their rolls as bringers of death to their enemies. The "mean" skull just looks cartoony in this context. I also wouldn't keep the drop shadow on the stars (but that's more my taste than anything) and I wouldn't have a half-shadow on the whole thing. You're also probably right about the gold bar on the bottom. It may be too much like a rank patch to be included.

(Perhaps some of our marine members could fill us in on specifics for this whole thing?)

Archived