Juiced Sports Logo Idea

dbackdiehard17

Hey guys!

So I absolutely love this site, and have been a member of it for years. I just don't post that often, but I read all the time. I wish I had the graphic design skills some of you guys have. That said, for nearly four years I've been running a sports blog, Juiced Sports (www.juicedsportsblog.com) and our fourth anniversary is coming up, and I want to create a really simple, sort of iconic logo for the site.

Right now the logo we have is this (a logo I created in Powerpoint (yeah Powerpoint back in 2007)... it was cool at the time, but it's way too busy, has way too many colors, even textures too, and wouldn't translate well to a shirt or hat if I ever decided to make any.

Primary-1.jpg?t=1295313000

so for the past week I've been jotting down design ideas for a simple, two-three color logo that looks both classy and sleek. The idea behind the logo is a ball flying fast through the air and the flying ball to take the J and make it into an "s" so that you get both "J" and "S" ... I'm not good at all in Illustrator however, so this is what I have so far, and I really want everyone's opinions. I think this logo has potential, but I want others thoughts. So let me know what you think and any suggestions (it's rough, but the idea is there, along with my original sketch) Thanks!! (btw: ignore the font, that's just a placeholder for now)

juicedsportslogo.jpg

2011-07-12134652.jpg

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

Ok if you're gonna go with this idea you wanna be looking at much older fonts. Early fonts often used what look like modern f's (with or without the cross bar) as S's and you'd probably be best served to start with that character and see if you can split it somewhere and make it look like a J rather than trying to add something to a J to make it look like an S. The subtlties involved in type design are frightening and unless you're are 100% confident using Illustrator hand crafted type will almost always look clumsy, especially when combine with actual type. If someone else more skilled has already done the work for you, let them I say!

As to the idea itself, yeah it's a clever little monogram, but it doesn't really say "JUICED" to me. I would be expecting something bolder, more exciting and something a bit more fun to be honest. I mean a juiced sportsman isn't going to be the picture of quiet sophisticated elegence is he? Chances are he's gonna be all up in everyone's face, screaming and shouting and being the centre of attention. For your branding to succeed it has to communicate the qualities of the name and I dont think your current idea really does that.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Ok if you're gonna go with this idea you wanna be looking at much older fonts. Early fonts often used what look like modern f's (with or without the cross bar) as S's and you'd probably be best served to start with that character and see if you can split it somewhere and make it look like a J rather than trying to add something to a J to make it look like an S. The subtlties involved in type design are frightening and unless you're are 100% confident using Illustrator hand crafted type will almost always look clumsy, especially when combine with actual type. If someone else more skilled has already done the work for you, let them I say!

As to the idea itself, yeah it's a clever little monogram, but it doesn't really say "JUICED" to me. I would be expecting something bolder, more exciting and something a bit more fun to be honest. I mean a juiced sportsman isn't going to be the picture of quiet sophisticated elegence is he? Chances are he's gonna be all up in everyone's face, screaming and shouting and being the centre of attention. For your branding to succeed it has to communicate the qualities of the name and I dont think your current idea really does that.

9erssteve

Thanks for the feedback.

The idea for the logo was for it to be one simple logo (almost like something you would put on a baseball cap, for example). I wanted it to be sleek, modern, and something that looks professional. It doesn't necessarily have to scream "Juiced"... I want it to be a logo that people look at and take seriously. I want people to see it when we become big and think "class" "Professionalism" "trust-worthy" etc.

So the little J-S combo logo doesn't have to be turned into a whole word mark, just that one emblem, with the words "Juiced Sports" underneath. Which, I can toy around with different fonts to find one that works for the logo. I'm just trying to figure out how to make this logo as sleek and professional as possible. We're trying to be taken seriously (we do interviews with pro athletes, coaches, authors, celebrities, and get review copies of books, etc.) and I think this logo (just streamlined a bit, would help enhance our brand).

Does that make more sense?

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

Archived