Literary Baseball League

RJC Logos

So this is my first concept series. It's a league I've run by myself on paper for a very long time that is now being computerized. I'm going to release them in order of last year's standings. I had only four teams, and I'm hoping to expand to 12, so if you have any idea, post it here.

First up, the Madison (Wisconsin) Hatters, based on the Mad Hatter of the Alice in Wonderland books.

logo: hat.png

home: hatters-road.png

road: hatters-home.png

alt1: hatters-alt.png

alt2: hatters-alt2.png

The Hatters are the oldest team in the league (which does not yet have a logo), which is why the home and road hats don't have logos. Those hats are the only relics to the league's inaugural season. The uniforms you see here are going into their 2nd season, except for the split-color alternate, which is brand new.

C&C?

capitalone.png

I like the idea you have going here, and this seems like it's going to be a cool series.

-The first thing I notice is that I can't read the number. Is it 41? L1? 4? I'm just not sure.

-The logo you presented at the beginning is completely unused in the uniform.

-You use two separate, but similar, shades of green. Is this intentional?

-It seems like you gave up on the second alt. Consider adding a purple belt, colored piping, or anything else to add more color to the uniform.

-I obviously don't know what you are going for, but the overall Hatters concept is really out there. It seems more like a concept for a Disney-themed baseball video game than for a Literary Baseball League. I would consider toning this concept down a couple of notches. I like the colors purple and green together, but I would tone down their use.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

It's a 4. In my imaginary league, the Hatters had been owned by the most hardline owner ever. The homes were all white (the new second alts), the roads were all grey. Two years ago, they were purchased by a Loria-type person who wanted their identity to match the character. Yes, the greens thing was intentional. The hat logo is kind of like the anatomically correct bird for the Orioles these days. Anyway, next up are the Winnipeg Bears (Winnie the pooh).

capitalone.png

I see 4 shades of green (belt, pants, numbers, and jerseys)-- not including the logo (which is not on the uniforms in any way, and is a totally different set of colors. I don't really understand what's going on here. I get the purpose of your project, but I think it would benefit heavily from some research and reference images. The concept itself is out there (and I like the idea)-- so I'm struggling to figure out if you were intentionally trying to break every uniform rule there is, or if that's just the nature of the concept.

I personally would like to see more thought, and less fill bucket. And one more thing: think about the size of your numbers. On the home and away, and especially the second alt, how would a number like '22' look on them? It would likely wrap around to the front if you kept the scale.

While there is definitely some fantasy to these concepts, I think maintaining some semblance of reality in terms of uniform design would be an excellent idea.

To be honest, I kinda was trying to break of all the rules. When I designed these, the Miami rumors were swirling around, and I decided to take An owner crazier than Loria, the craziest colors I could, and the craziest charater in books I had, and mixed them all together. And as mentioned earlier, the hat logo is like the oriole's anatomically correct logo, you know?

capitalone.png

To be honest, I kinda was trying to break of all the rules. When I designed these, the Miami rumors were swirling around, and I decided to take An owner crazier than Loria, the craziest colors I could, and the craziest charater in books I had, and mixed them all together. And as mentioned earlier, the hat logo is like the oriole's anatomically correct logo, you know?

For the designs to "work," though, there should be some semblance of realism. You mentioned the Marlins-- they have jersey numbers that are legible and correctly scaled, and they also have (while a fairly large one) a set color palette. The Orioles anatomically correct logo is also the same color as the rest of their branding, which was essentially what I'm getting at. You're missing a lot of little things that are easy to do, and that really degrades the presentation, IMO.

Archived