Big Ten Rivarly Concept

pianoknight

Been a while since I posted a concept, but I wanted to work up some rivalry sets for Big Ten schools. First up is my hometeam, Nebraska - and I should have an Iowa set for the Heroes Game soon.

Based on feedback I get, I'll continue the series or scrap it.

Nebraska Cornhuskers

As a fan, you can't mess with Nebraska too much. Their uniforms are classic and the fan base resists change.

That being said, there are some tweaks that I wanted to make. First, NU's official colors are scarlet and cream - not red and white. I completely ditched the white and have used an off-white cream for the entire set.

Secondly, I based the helmet design off the older, interlocking "NU" style lids that Nebraska used to wear in the 60s and 70s. You may notice that I've fattened the stripe and also put numbers inside, somewhat inspired by the NY Giants' helmets.

Speaking of fattening stripes, that trend flows throughout the uniform. Nebraska has typically rocked the dual-stripes on jersey and pants, yet a single stripe on the helmet. I'm a stickler for unified stripe patterns, so I went with a single thick stripe across all.

The numbers and fonts are a slight update, yet still give off the "classic" look I was trying to achieve. You'll also notice the Nebraska State outline in the pants stripe - largely because Nebraska is one of the few states who is 100% behind a single team (opposed to Texas, for example: UT, A&M, Houston, TCU, etc etc). The Huskers ARE Nebraska, the state's identity is wrapped up in football. Also, if you look carefully, you'll see Nebraska's State Motto: "Equality Before The Law" sublimated above the NOB.

Badging is consistent - I retained the NU jersey patch and added an updated "B1G" logo to reflect the conference.

NU.png

Thoughts?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I've been going back and forth with the cream versus white. Originally, I tried to incorporate BOTH cream and white but it was a hot mess.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Things I like: consistency in striping, the state outline, the cream, and somewhat like the "NU"

Things I don't like: the cream (it's too red, needs to be more subtle and maybe more yellowy but not so in your face as not white), really don't like the helmet stripe that fat with the number inside, the state motto doesn't really seem to fit for the football team - how about "not the goal but the game" or "in the deed the glory?"

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Things I like: consistency in striping, the state outline, the cream, and somewhat like the "NU"

Things I don't like: the cream (it's too red, needs to be more subtle and maybe more yellowy but not so in your face as not white), really don't like the helmet stripe that fat with the number inside, the state motto doesn't really seem to fit for the football team - how about "not the goal but the game" or "in the deed the glory?"

The cream is a tough sell, especially since it views differently on different monitors. Ideally, I'm going for an eggshell or off-white, not a pinkish cream, but again it varies based on screen.

What about moving the helmet numbers to the back? NU currently has helmet numbers on the back, on either side of the stripe. Do you not like numbers on the front, or is it having the numbers INSIDE the stripe?

nupic266_copy_1.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived