WCHA Concepts - College Hockey

Big A HG

Doing some concepts is something I've wanted to dabble in for awhile. Well, I finally finished my first set and wanted to share. I'll update this thread as time goes on, but updates will unfortunately be a bit infrequently. Also, for unity's sake, all jerseys will be RBK Edge style.

My first WCHA team I've finished is the Minnesota State (Mankato) Mavericks. Their colors are obviously purple and athletic gold. In recent years, I don't think they've used the color combo to its full potential, so I wanted them to get back to the roots and use more purple/gold combos (especially the gold, which has really dried up in Mankato).

I didn't create any of the logos, though I did create the wordmark for the alternate black jersey.

-The White and Purple jerseys feature some unique, but still somewhat classic striping. I wanted these two jerseys to scream college hockey.

-The Home White features their modern Bull head logo, which is also featured as shoulder patches on the purple and black sweaters.

-I don't feel the bull head looked good on the purple jersey, so I drew from MSU's past and used one of their older logos, which I think looks quite nice on a sweater.

-The Alternate Black jersey is an homage to past MSU jerseys with a slightly italicized, diagonal, very blocky wordmark. I really like the look and felt it was best used on their black jersey. I did my own little twist, simplifying this wordmark with a more modern font, but the idea is the same. I wanted to make sure their was a fair amount of purple, so I made the jersey hem areas and cuffs purple to offset so much black.

Click for larger:

MankatoGraphic_sml_zpscb2439ca.png

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

I'll take the lack of comments as a good thing. :P

Griffinmarlins, I agree about the baseball style number on the road. I don't necessarily like it there, but something seemed off without something other than the crest shown. I figured I'd give the numbers a try and see what people thought.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Archived