I need help with my personal logo

Coyote

I decided to make a personal logo using my initials, DK. When sketching out some designs for my logo, I realized that my initials make an emoticon. I previously tried to use both uppercase letters to make a face, but it did not work out as I planned. As you can see in the image below, the missing middle portion does create an angry sad emoticon, but it looks like it spells out "DiK".

dklogos-1.jpg

Unfortunately for me, I don't have an "i" in my initials. So instead, I decided to interlock a lower case "d" with an upper case "K" and take out the middle portion of the "K" to make a face with the tongue sticking out. However I ran into the issue where the remnants of the K look like "slanted eyes". Although I am indeed Asian American, I don't want my logo to personify my ethnicity. Especially with a racist thing such as "slanted eyes". I tried a colon to represent eyes to the second logo, but I feel that adding the circles would disrupt the flow of the negative space creating the "K". Anybody have any suggestions on fixing this problem?

I do not wish to scrap this "emoticon" themed personal logo, as I really like the simplicity of the logo. But if I have to then I'll go back to the drawing board.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not saying ditch this idea, but try other things. I think part of your problem is you are set on trying to make this work. Instead of trying to make one idea work, sketch out a bunch of ideas and within those you should have a logo. To me it's not working, because when I first saw the image my mind filled in the i-c between the D-K, and that my friend is not good.

I got stuck on an idea with my first personal logo -- and now I laugh at it.

oddball's right, don't try to shoehorn your idea into something that isn't working. Get a blank piece of paper, and just scribble/sketch ideas that come to mind. Play with the letterforms (and different representations of them) -- you'll come up with something a lot nicer, and something you'll be more proud of.

Yeah you guys are right. I thought it was pretty clever to have an emoticon as my personal logo, but I guess it does no one any good if the initial idea was forced. Thanks for the advice though! I hope I can come up with something else soon.

Here, check this article out (oldie but goodie). Shows the importance of sketching and how his ideas evolved throughout the process: http://www.davidaire...esign-sketches/

Hey thanks! I just read most David Airey's "Logo Design Love" book so I'll definitely check that out. I feel like I should just practice sketching more and more.

Archived