Logo I'm working on...

Bayne

Hi fellow designers!

I've been working on a new logo for a friend of mine who is putting together a historical reference book of a local soccer team here in Western Australia. It's basically going to be a collection of articles and figures covering the history of the club back to 1996. At least that's what I'm lead to believe...something like that.

So I came up with a bunch of sketches of different concepts, narrowed it down with consultation from the author and went forth from there. Here's what I've come up with so far..

NFB1996_zpsb0421292.jpg

We both decided that using the outline of the state of Western Australia was the way to go, so I did that using a graphic element of sunbursts that can be seen in the various incarnations of the club's logo:

Perth_GLORY_NSL_LOGO.jpgglory-logo.jpg

I didn't want to replicate the use of the sunbursts to literally, so I felt I should keep away from using them in a radial manner, but have them there to trigger the connection. This is not an official publication of the club, so I don't want to treat too closely to their brand if you know what I mean.

The client (friend, author....I'm trying to sound professional here) wants a good mix of orange and purple (the clubs colours) but I've become grown to the two tone purple thing I have going on so far. I'm thinking that the text will be predominately orange to satisfy that request, but I'm really at a loss as to what kind of font I should be going for. It's a history reference book, so I don't want anything that looks too cartoony - I want it to look sophisticated, but bold enough to match the shape of the logo. Should it be a serif or sans serif? By the way the main text he wants is 'EST.1996' with the subheading to be 'New Football Begins'. (I think the subheading should be in some kind of scripted font).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is what I have so far not as good as what I think it is? I've been staring at this (and slight variations of this as I've been working on it) for hours. I need a second and third opinion. Cheers!

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived