Amateur logo attempt...

RedRamage

I've always loved the 'old school' look of the Tiger Head logo for the Tigers:

2896.gif

So I tinkered around for a while and came up with this:

4i0wlc.jpg

Obviously not a professional job, but I still think it turned out okay.

I wouid appreciate any comments or thoughts. Please bear in mind a couple of things though:

First, I specifically am trying to emulate the feel of the old school Tigers logo. The somewhat blotchy graphics, the color choice (ie, none realistic colors)... those were intentional.

Second, I'm about as amateur as they come. I have entry level knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Gimp. I did the Lion head in Gimp and then added the words in Illustrator. So if you're going to comment about any specific tools or techniques to use... please provide lots of detail and assume I'm not going to be familiar with what you're saying, cause I won't be! :)

There are three things I'm not thrilled about in this logo:

1. The Whiskers look wrong to me. I think they need to be a little straighter. I put them in by hand where they probably would have been using some sort of tool, but I'm not sure how to make a line and then arch/bend it.

2. The blue line around the face that I'm using to separate the face from the mane looks a little off to me. I'm not sure exactly how it's off though... or how to correct it.

3. In the Tigers logo we see a Tiger head. Then there is a circle around the floating head. With my Lions logo the circle is more framing and cropping the Lion head. The head is certainly not "floating" inside the circle. It's cropped by the circle. Now, there isn't a whole lot I can do here because a Lion has mane of course. But I'd like to try and tweak this somehow. Maybe I need to make the inner white circle wider... cutting more into the mane so it doesn't look like the light blue circle is doing the cropping? Thoughts?

dw29m0.jpg

Okay, my latest... version 3.0. Lots of rework here. First I realized that I make a serious mistake in setting up the pic initially. I have way too small of a canvas size. So I expanding the canvas to a much larger size, re-sized the image, and then when in pixel by pixel fixing the edges of the colors so that it wouldn't look like a pixilated mess. As I mentioned in my previous up that I some how screwed up the image pasting on, I fixed the whiskers and dropped the center of the head down.

With the much improved resolution size I reworked the eyes to make the pupils rounder. (On a side note: Big Cats do have round pupils rather than the splits that small cats have.) Next I cleaned up the teeth. Again the extra resolution allowed me to better define those. I also edged them in black to set them off a bit more.

Finally I had my wife, who's really a pretty dang good artist, to review it. She helped me identify a number of areas and gave suggestions for improvements. The four things she suggested as the top of the muzzle needed better definition, and the white around the eyes was too big and "blobby." Speaking of blobby, she said the harder spots in the mane were too blobby and needed to be smaller and more defined. Finally she said to break up the blue "outline" around the face. I think she was right and really like my reworks based on her suggestions. A lot of improvement in my opinion.

I love some feedback.

What do you use as a platform? I feel like if you were to use a vector engine like inkscape (which is free) it would clean up a lot of the lines. Make your whole logo cleaner on the whole. That way you don't have to go pixel by pixel to fix things. Those pixels really show up on the larger canvas

Honestly, it looks like you drew a circle and added a lion's face to it. Tryless of the blue with the lion 'cause it looks like a tiger. I would say eliminate some of the blue lines and try to get the whole lion's head inside the circle. It looks wierd without the ears. It clearly doesn't look like a lion. Again, try putting a full lion's head inside of the circle. Kepp trying, it's getting better!

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Honestly, it looks like you drew a circle and added a lion's face to it.

Well.... yeah... that's kinda what it is. Circle with a Lion face.

Tryless of the blue with the lion 'cause it looks like a tiger. I would say eliminate some of the blue lines and try to get the whole lion's head inside the circle.

Bear in mind that I'm specifically trying to emulate the look and feel of the Detroit Tigers logo. This gives me two problems:

1. I'm trying limit colors as much as possible. The tiger logo only uses dark blue, orange, and white. I'm using 4 in the Lions logo rather than just three because I needed a darker color (black) for the eyes and other areas. The blue in the lion is supposed to represent dark areas of the mane. Obviously a light blue like this isn't a nature color of Lions. I'll try to reduce it a little more though.

2. As you can see in the silly morphing logo, I'm trying to match the size of the face... the eyes, mouth, teeth, etc. are approx the same size between the two cats. This causes a problem in the sense that the lion head, with mane, is considerably larger than the tiger head, without mane. Even if I had no white ring I couldn't fit the whole lion head inside of the outer ring. You can see my first version had a much smaller ring but still cut off the mane.

I felt like the tiger head was floating inside of the outer ring of the Tigers logo while the lion head in the Lions logo was just a lion head framed/cropped by the outer ring. My solution was a thicker inner white ring. However, this might not have solved it at all.

I'll keep tinkering...

Honestly, it looks like you drew a circle and added a lion's face to it.

Well.... yeah... that's kinda what it is. Circle with a Lion face.

Tryless of the blue with the lion 'cause it looks like a tiger. I would say eliminate some of the blue lines and try to get the whole lion's head inside the circle.

Bear in mind that I'm specifically trying to emulate the look and feel of the Detroit Tigers logo. This gives me two problems:

1. I'm trying limit colors as much as possible. The tiger logo only uses dark blue, orange, and white. I'm using 4 in the Lions logo rather than just three because I needed a darker color (black) for the eyes and other areas. The blue in the lion is supposed to represent dark areas of the mane. Obviously a light blue like this isn't a nature color of Lions. I'll try to reduce it a little more though.

2. As you can see in the silly morphing logo, I'm trying to match the size of the face... the eyes, mouth, teeth, etc. are approx the same size between the two cats. This causes a problem in the sense that the lion head, with mane, is considerably larger than the tiger head, without mane. Even if I had no white ring I couldn't fit the whole lion head inside of the outer ring. You can see my first version had a much smaller ring but still cut off the mane.

I felt like the tiger head was floating inside of the outer ring of the Tigers logo while the lion head in the Lions logo was just a lion head framed/cropped by the outer ring. My solution was a thicker inner white ring. However, this might not have solved it at all.

I'll keep tinkering...

I get what you are getting at. What I meant was the logo looks kind of wierd just having that face without any ears. Try adding the ears and have to ears a bit outside of the white, not touching the blue. I feel like that it will make the lion more firece looking. Kepp the blue, but maybe make some of the black outlines sinec the current logo has an element of black in it.

spacer.png

a>

So I pumped up the resolution which makes it a lot less "pixelated." Note that this is a slightly compressed version and I also haven't done a lot of detail work so you'll still see some pixels.

I added ears. Works better than I thought it would. I also completely reworked the mane. Reduced the white ring and then removed the large blotches and put in finer details so it looks more like hair in the mane rather than stripes.

Still need to do a lot of detail and clean up work. Add some more blue to the left side and maybe some to the top of the mane. I might add some white to the ears. Also want to tweak the white around the eyes and below the nose.

Also have to redo the whiskers.

Hate that I can't edit my post. :(

35n235s.jpg

[url=

So I pumped up the resolution which makes it a lot less "pixelated." Note that this is a slightly compressed version and I also haven't done a lot of detail work so you'll still see some pixels.

I added ears. Works better than I thought it would. I also completely reworked the mane. Reduced the white ring and then removed the large blotches and put in finer details so it looks more like hair in the mane rather than stripes.

Still need to do a lot of detail and clean up work. Add some more blue to the left side and maybe some to the top of the mane. I might add some white to the ears. Also want to tweak the white around the eyes and below the nose.

Also have to redo the whiskers.

Hate that I can't edit my post. :(

35n235s.jpg

Looks really good! Keep the Detroit Lions around the lion, that looked really good! What program are you using by the way?

spacer.png

Oh, the "Detroit Lions" will be back. I just have a little better experience with letter in illustrator then in Gimp, but Gimp is what I'm using for this logo. I have Gimp on my laptop so I tinker with it when I have spare time or when I'm watching baseball. (Don't get me wrong... I love baseball, but it can be very boring if you don't have a second thing to do when the game is on. I once heard the game described -- accurately in my opinion -- as three minutes of action crammed into a three hour game.)

So after I get the graphics tweaked I'll take the image and import into Illustrator on my desktop and but the letters back on. That's assuming I can get my son off mine craft and my daughter off webkins log enough to do it!

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. This is the first time I've every dabble much with creating something out of whole cloth. I've edited and tweaked pics and graphics a bit, but never created from nothing. An truth be told I did cheat a little bit. My drawing skills are not the greatest so I started with an existing picture of a lion as by background layer and then just "painted" over that. Here's the image I used:

7081971_700b.jpg

Grabbed the one on the left and rotated it so it was straight up and down.

Okay, newest version:

2jgjdg.jpg

Newest version. Cleaned up the mane some more and added blue to the left and top. Totally reworked the white by the nose and added spots. Added a little white to the ears for added definition. Completely reworked the whiskers.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Archived