The Fantasy Football Development League

werbear

Hello everyone. If you're like me at this time of year you are checking each week to make sure that you have the best potential matchup for this week's slate of NFL games. Inevitably you will look at the trade that you sent three weeks ago to team Lick my balls and wish that you were a part of one of those awesome leagues on Sportslogos.net. Unfortunately you might not have the requisite amount of posts or the design skills needed to get an invitation to one of these premier leagues. You might never. But you still want to game with other like minded individuals who want a more serious fantasy experience in a keeper league format.

I had this brainstorm of an idea when contemplating just this very thing and wanted to get some feedback and see if I could get some support to get this idea off the ground.

THE IDEA:
What if there was a hub development league? A way for all of those would be fantasy coaches to cut their teeth in a new format for fantasy football. Mainly this idea revolves around an association concept. Imagine if the NCAA was an umbrella organization and each individual conference was its own entity. Each conference has a history all its own but ultimately lies under the NCAA.

In this idea there would be a FFDL "head office". By head office I mean a central control point for all the FF leagues that will be under it. The FFDL HO will provide a norming for points across all leagues and will control the application process of new teams, the forming of new leagues, and the weeding out of inattentive coaches.

The leagues themselves will be hereditary when it comes to the teams. If an owner of a team decides that they want to step down or a league votes out another owner the league will receive a new team from the FFDL HO. The new team inherits all the players from the old team; as if the franchise 'moved'.

The conferences themselves will be self-governing, electing a new commissioner each year. Generally only relying on FFDL HO for new teams and norming information.

The other binding factor would be the FFDL "Bowl Season". Basically each conference season will be the normal 17 week season, but the final totals for all of the league champions will be submitted to FFDL HO and the highest total would be crowned the FFDL Champion.

FFDL HOME OFFICE IS WHO?:

I imagine for the first year it would be a technocracy of people coming together who know what they are doing. After that I hope that the Home Office would be elected from the separate conferences. So each league would have a commissioner and a league rep. From the league reps would be elected a league Commissioner. The Home office would decide if a new conference could be supported by incoming members or if the current number of teams would be sufficient.

How would you get a team?:

By application and a waiting list. There would be a minimum set of standards decided upon by those people willing to help get this off the ground and by the future Home Office. It sucks but you have to have a minimum standard or your product would begin to slide backward. The application process is where you would build up your concept for your team. Once you are eligible your name goes on a waiting list and the second your turn comes up you're in the game, if you still want.

The Blacklist:

Not everyone can play nice and mind their p's and q's. If there is a person in a league that needs to be removed certain actions have to be taken. The final decision would be made by the Home Office as to what that means but I imagine it means a blacklist of those people that couldn't play nicely with the other kids. Inclusion on the blacklist or a several season ban would have to be hammered out by the Home Office.

OUTLOOK:
I really have high hopes for this concept if it can get off the ground. In the end I would like a large robust league of people enjoying their new, more serious, fantasy football experience. As an end goal I would like to see some of the 'premier' fantasy football leagues on sportslogos.net have the FFDL as a pre requisite for inclusion. But mainly I really want everyone to have as much fun as I have playing serious fantasy football players.

WHEN:

Next season. The fact of the matter is that we would need to get a pool of owners, rules in place, some logos for the league, and lots of people like you to help with the creative process.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?:

Look I have no idea what I'm doing. I just had this idea and thought that if there was a number of like minded people we could hammer something out and get this thing off the ground. I don't necessarily want to try and do this myself. (If I had to do it myself obviously no one thought it was a good idea.) So if you have an idea of how to make this better or take the bull by the horns and lend your abilities to this project please do!

THIS IS NOT MY PROJECT!:

Well I hope not anyway. I hope this takes on a life of its own and grows through the members of the FFDL or whatever the end members choose to call it.

You want to play with serious players? You have a few options -- Play in a league with your buddies with a league buy-in and payouts for the winner, play in a league in which you pay for the team online and play against strangers plenty of sites have this, or wait until you have 500 posts, been around this site for 6 months, and built up a good reputation, then apply for leagues here. Each league has an application process some leagues think other applicants will be a better fit than others -- this 'governing' body makes absolutely no sense around these parts.

There's no fast way to get into a fantasy football league, they are the most sought after leagues on this site. I've been around since 08' and still haven't cracked into one yet.

I understand what you are saying. Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree. If so then this thread will be short lived, but I still think that there is room for a new ff league idea. I play in all of the leagues that you list in your post, but in all of them the same problems occur, pay or no pay.

If the above post doesn't make sense, I can appreciate that. Help me make it better. Instead of a governing body think about it this way. you state that fantasy leagues are one of the most sought after things on these boards. I agree. I also agree that they are insanely hard to get into. Am I willing to wait to get into one? definitely. But why isn't there an entity or a thread or a board or a 'club' to get all those people seeking a fantasy football home together? That's all I'm driving at. No one can really match the quality of the official fantasy leagues. Nor would I want to right off the bat. But if there is a demand for those style fantasy leagues here, why isn't there a body who tries and get those people together?

That's really all I'm trying to start here. An entity that gets all those numerous people who are biding their time to try to get into the official leagues together to do something similar, on a smaller scale. You say that there is no fast way to get into a fantasy league. I agree with that, but I wonder why that is. If there are so many people wanting this kind of thing, why aren't they getting together and making a new one every other week? All this thread and the "body" are trying to do is to provide a way to get all those people together under one roof so they can consistently play a high quality fantasy football game in the fashion of logoservers.net in a quick and easy to access fashion.

I love sports logos and I enjoy fantasy football. But I feel like there should be some middle ground between not playing at all and waiting five years to get into a league. Especially when I know that there are tons of people seeking this style of fantasy football product.

Don't like the idea of the governing body? I see where you are coming from. Maybe it's unnecessary. But at the very least perhaps I can start a thread to get all those people seeking a major league style fantasy experience together. I think that a 'governing body' would be a great way to provide a template for people to get a league started in a short amount of time. Is there another way? probably but that's why I started this thread to figure out how.

I understand what you are saying. Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree. If so then this thread will be short lived, but I still think that there is room for a new ff league idea. I play in all of the leagues that you list in your post, but in all of them the same problems occur, pay or no pay.

If the above post doesn't make sense, I can appreciate that. Help me make it better. Instead of a governing body think about it this way. you state that fantasy leagues are one of the most sought after things on these boards. I agree. I also agree that they are insanely hard to get into. Am I willing to wait to get into one? definitely. But why isn't there an entity or a thread or a board or a 'club' to get all those people seeking a fantasy football home together? That's all I'm driving at. No one can really match the quality of the official fantasy leagues. Nor would I want to right off the bat. But if there is a demand for those style fantasy leagues here, why isn't there a body who tries and get those people together?

That's really all I'm trying to start here. An entity that gets all those numerous people who are biding their time to try to get into the official leagues together to do something similar, on a smaller scale. You say that there is no fast way to get into a fantasy league. I agree with that, but I wonder why that is. If there are so many people wanting this kind of thing, why aren't they getting together and making a new one every other week? All this thread and the "body" are trying to do is to provide a way to get all those people together under one roof so they can consistently play a high quality fantasy football game in the fashion of logoservers.net in a quick and easy to access fashion.

I love sports logos and I enjoy fantasy football. But I feel like there should be some middle ground between not playing at all and waiting five years to get into a league. Especially when I know that there are tons of people seeking this style of fantasy football product.

Don't like the idea of the governing body? I see where you are coming from. Maybe it's unnecessary. But at the very least perhaps I can start a thread to get all those people seeking a major league style fantasy experience together. I think that a 'governing body' would be a great way to provide a template for people to get a league started in a short amount of time. Is there another way? probably but that's why I started this thread to figure out how.

Too be honest I didn't waste my time really reading your post, just skimmed it real quick. The fact is there already is a governing body over all the fantasy leagues on this site. Dennis (LMU) is the fantasy director and he is in charge of the 'governing' body -- each league has there own chain of command lead by a commissioner. Your proposal is not needed, this forum already has a set up and it works fantastic.

And just one thing I did read from your post was that I said fantasy leagues are the most sought after part of the fourm. But in fact I did not say that. I'll clarify for you -- the fantasy FOOTBALL leagues are the most sought after fantasy leagues. Fantasy is a bonus of being apart of this fourm, everyone involved here is here for their love of sports aesthetics.

If all you seek are competitive fantasy leagues, which it certainly sounds like then a quick google search will point you in the direction of a fourm that suits your needs better.

I'd join!

If joining a powerless governing body is what you seek have at it! :P Like I said the mods have already created a governing body. And I highly doubt they'd let you get anywhere close to running the thing.

I don't think that we're coming from the same point on this topic at all. It's probably because I am using verbage that could be interpreted in a manner that I did not intend. Let me start from the top and get your take on my reattempt of an explanation of this argument.

1. I think that the quality of the fantasy football leagues is excellent on this site and I enjoy the thought of competing in a league that has normal region/nickname type names and everyone has a logo.

2. I think that the present set up is missing a tier to its fantasy football setup. If it was all inclusive then there would not be people like you or me who desire a league like this but can't get into one. Even after at least 5 years.

3. I think that all that needs to be done is to have a hub where people like you and I could meet and set up a league together.

4. In my opinion it could be nice if there was a unifying theme among the leagues so that any newcomer would have a good idea of what the end product was. So for instance all the leagues have 1 wr/rb/te flex instead of just wr/rb.

5. I do not condone a 'shadow government' of fantasy football. Rather just a nice way to unify all the leagues together so that everyone is competing against each other even if they are not competing against each other. a league champion if you will. Is it necessary? No. But it would be nice.

6. Could this morph into a thing where every year people meet to create one and done leagues together? Sure it could move in that direction, but as a jumping off point a keeper league would be nicer, IMHO.

To address your concerns:

Why are you so acidic to an idea the you "just skimmed"?

I'm on this forum because I am talking about sports aesthetics. The aesthetics of fantasy football - where every team has a nice region/nickname combo and a cool logo/backstory to go with their team.

I agree that the current set up works fantastic - for the people who actually get to participate. It's just fantasy football; everyone should be able to find like minded people and create a similar set up. The problem is finding those like minded people. Those people are on this forum. That's why the people in those leagues complain about newbs who try and enter applications or why the current leagues exist on this forum and not on another. It's not just competition, it is the aesthetics of that competition.

Look around - there are people who want to get into this kind of game. But there are no threads and no hubs for those people to meet each other and get their leagues hammered out. This thread, or league, or entity, or whatever you want to call it would act like that hub.

Perhaps you are right and this is an unnecessary waste of forum space. If I don't get any more support for this idea the only conclusion is that is the case. But I really do believe that fantasy sports is an extension of the sport aesthetic and everyone deserves a chance to get into the game without having to wait five years for one of the forty or so slots that might become available.

Archived