Motor City Mechanics Press Release and small logo.

Ez Street

mc.jpg

MOTOR CITY MECHANICS FACE-OFF IN FRASER THIS FALL

New UHL Hockey Franchise to be Coached by Former Red Wing Garry ?The Iron-man? Unger

06/29/04

Southfield, MI--? Professional Hockey fever returns to SE Michigan with the addition of the United Hockey League?s (UHL) expansion team, Motor City Mechanics. An affiliate of Southfield-based Michigan Sports LLC, the new franchise will play its 2004-05 season home games at the Great Lakes Sports City Superior Arena in Fraser, MI and will be coached by former Detroit Red Wing and seven-time NHL all-star, Garry Unger.

?Detroit has always been a great hockey town. I enjoyed playing here during my four seasons as a Red Wing (1967-71) and look forward to resuming my career here as coach of the Mechanics,? said Coach Garry Unger. ? We?re very excited about assembling a competitive team and bringing hockey excitement to the hard-working fans of Macomb County.? After a 16-year career in the NHL, Unger amassed 11 years of professional hockey coaching experience to his credit, including a championship title as coach of the CHL Tulsa Oilers during the 1992-93 season.

The Motor City Mechanics join the UHL as the league?s 13th member club and its fifth team to be located within the state of Michigan. The other Michigan-based teams include last season Colonial Cup champions, the Muskegon Fury; the Flint Generals; the Kalamazoo Wings and the Port Huron Beacons.

?We are thrilled to have the Motor City Mechanics join the UHL and look forward to a long and successful relationship with Michigan Sports LLC,? stated Richard Brosal UHL President / CEO. ?As the fifth Michigan-based team, the Mechanics will add a new level of excitement for the fans and the UHL.? The UHL completed the 2003-04 season eclipsing the 15.9 million-mark in total attendance.

As the UHL embarks on its 14th consecutive season, each team will play a total of 80 games; half of which will be played at home. Great Lakes Sports City, which will host all of the Mechanics? home games, owns the distinction of being the nation?s largest ice complex with five ice skating surfaces. With an approximate 3.35 million people passing through the arena doors each year, Michigan Sports LLC anticipates that many of them will attend Mechanics? hockey games.

?The state of Michigan has a very strong hockey fan base and nowhere is that more evident than in the untapped market of Macomb County,? said Michigan Sports LLC Principal, Mitchell Rosen. ?Bringing a team to the county is a win-win for all, as the fans will get a team to call their own and the entertainment dollars spent during the season will be a boon to the local economy.? The UHL?s devoted fans have been known to maintain their strong support, often times traveling to watch their team play.

While the team is currently in the process of being assembled, ticket information can be obtained by calling 866-997-PUCK (7825) or by visiting www.motorcitymechanics.com. For additional arena information visit www.glsportscity.com. A complete 2004-05 season schedule will be available July 8, 2004.

Based in Lake St. Louis, MO, the UHL began in 1991 as the Colonial Hockey League, and changed to the United Hockey League in 1997. The UHL is embarking on its 14th consecutive season with 14 member clubs in seven states, including the expansion Motor City Mechanics (Michigan) and a new team to be announced in early July (2004).

Meh... it's okay. Kind of a cool idea with the wrench forming the C, but everything else looks really random. I'm not too fond of the shape of the M, and the hockey stick just looks completely forced. I can hear the team's marketing department talking to the designer... "Okay that looks really good. We like it, but it needs a hockey stick so people know we're a hockey team. Can you fit that in there? Yeeeah... That'd be greeeeat... mmkay?"

In light of the location of their arena, I'm wondering if they will play "Hey baby, I hear the blues a callin', tossed salads and scrambled eggs . . . " at the end of each home game.

And it's a pretty safe bet that I'll be attending most if not all River Otter home games against the Mechanics and wearing my replica 1972 #7 Blues jersey. Childhood heroes rarely diminish in status even with the passage of time. Ungie was my idol.

Meh... it's okay. Kind of a cool idea with the wrench forming the C, but everything else looks really random. I'm not too fond of the shape of the M, and the hockey stick just looks completely forced. I can hear the team's marketing department talking to the designer... "Okay that looks really good. We like it, but it needs a hockey stick so people know we're a hockey team. Can you fit that in there? Yeeeah... That'd be greeeeat... mmkay?"

My thoughts exactly. The colors aren't very exciting either. It seems a touch dark to me.

Archived