Zoneranger's Whozis #97

zoneranger

May 9, 1961: In a 13-5 victory over the Twins, Baltimore Orioles first baseman Jim Gentile becomes first major leaguer to hit consecutive grand slams in the same game. Gentile accomplishes the feat in the first two innings of the contest.

I'm guessing the photo is when he played with the Astros in the 1965-1966 seasons.

Consecutive Innings? That's nothing.

I remember watching Fernando Tatis, while he was with the Cards, hit 2 Grand Slams in one inning a few years ago vs. the Dodgers in LA.

He had a lot of promise...unfortunatley he got injured, then he got traded to the Expos...suddenly he started to have anxiety attacks or something while he was playing. I pray he recovers and can some day return, because he really was quite good.

Jim Gentile was an interesting player,a player who would have been a 500-homer guy if he had been born 40 years later.The problem was, when he started his pro baseball career, the Major Leagues only had 16 teams,and Jim was stuck in the minors until he was about 29.As it was,he had about 3 or 4 good years before he was washed up. I saw him play in a spring training game in Florida in about 1965 or 1966,when I was a teenager and Jim was trying to make the roster of the Phillies.There wasn't much left.

Archived