Inkscape keeps corrupting my files

aawagner011

Hey guys,

I've been out of the concept game for quite a while now. I don't think I've done much in the last year or so. It mostly has to do with not having a computer and living off of my iPad.

However, I recently got a brand new MacBook Pro a few days ago and immediately downloaded Inkscape. I ported over most of my old GFX stuff so that I could quickly get back into it. I thought the best way to get my feet wet again would be to begin a college football series so I had quickly knocked out 3 teams over the course of a day. I have had problems with the program for the last two days since now.

I work in the native SVG file type and usually save my work every 5-10 minutes or so. The files I was working on had already been saved multiple times and I was about an hour deep into my work. The next time I went to save the files, the "File" tab illuminates blue and the program freezes up. My first thought was that it was no big deal, so I closed the program entirely, thinking I could reboot the file from the last save point and resume my work. Unfortunately, whenever this happens, it seems like the issue corrupts the file and it opens the file with a blank canvas (not as a brand new document, it reads as the correct file, just no content on the canvas).

This is especially irritating because I've now lost 2-3 hours of work and don't really feel confident to begin again for fear of losing future work. I had 2 teams near completion and the files are just blank pages.

I have tried to rename the files as .ai or .pdf and attempted to reopen them with no luck. I have also tried to open them in a web browser (which always shows a preview of the document) and it reads this error message:

This page contains the following errors:
error on line 360306 at column 67: AttValue: ' expected
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? I can open and edit older files no problem. This is a bit of a bummer as I was so excited to work on my series. I would have had 5 teams done now (and probably more if I was confident in the program). Clearly it is not the computer because it is brand new.

Thanks for any and all assistance!!

Archived