Timberwolves Re-Brand Logo: Retro + Modern

MasterAmino

Back when I was a college student in 2011, I made a hybrid T-Wolves logo that combined the original logo with the current one. 

Yesterday, I finally decided to re-make it with improved bezier curves. 

This is the original image from 2011 (that quite few people have stolen and claimed to be their own logo over the years...but I digress...):

2b158a25629483.56348517649db.png

And here's the new one with different color scheme and backgrounds/borders:

Twolves-Hybrid-Logo.png

Lastly (for now) here's one I just whipped up that I don't feel that good about...but it's a direction I'd like to explore more:

Twolves-Hybrid-Logo-2016.png

Thoughts? I know the actual re-brand will likely alter things to a much greater degree...but I'm going to at least enter this into ESPN's contest. Just don't know which one yet. 

Don't be worried about 232 views and no comments. It happens.

Its a good concept. The only issue I have is the grey ball and blue seams seem a bit forced (?). I don't have a solid idea of what to do, but they grey just looks out of place.

I'd also say that gradients are not the way to go. Actually, scrap the gradient. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's honest C and C.

Of the image with five options...the two on top (without gradients) are stellar and should be explored more.

I like this! But I'm going to have to disagree with timberwolf, 99% of the time I hate gradients but I think you make it work quite nicely here. Of the image with 5 options the 2 top and the far left are my favorite. My only critism would be the eye, something about it just seems lifeless to me. 

14 minutes ago, User9113 said:

I like this! But I'm going to have to disagree with timberwolf, 99% of the time I hate gradients but I think you make it work quite nicely here. Of the image with 5 options the 2 top and the far left are my favorite. My only critism would be the eye, something about it just seems lifeless to me. 

I agree about the eye. For the gradient, if you want to keep it in....you can do a bar gradient (like the Astros). The reason gradients don't work well today is it seems very 80s/90s ish. That could be just me, though. Speaking from previous logos, gradients don't look good from the fan POV (also, just my general observation).

8 hours ago, User9113 said:

Thanks. I usually don't either. I hesitated when I began...but it worked out I thought.

As for the eyes...yeah. I read you. I made them like that in reference to the old logo from the 90s. But looking at it again, maybe I should've brought them down a little bit and also make them a bit smaller. 

tumblr_m0hucpCcKP1r8aufno1_500.jpg

9 hours ago, timberwolf said:

Don't be worried about 232 views and no comments. It happens.

Its a good concept. The only issue I have is the grey ball and blue seams seem a bit forced (?). I don't have a solid idea of what to do, but they grey just looks out of place.

I'd also say that gradients are not the way to go. Actually, scrap the gradient. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's honest C and C.

Of the image with five options...the two on top (without gradients) are stellar and should be explored more.

Thanks for your thoughts.

* The grey ball with blue seems is a pure callback to the 90s logo (as seen in the post above). This was originally created as purely a hybrid logo, and I thought I could explore further possibilities with the rebrand coming. So that said, I do agree that a grey ball with blue seams definitely isn't something I'd normally go with. 

* On one hand I agree about the gradients, but on the other I'm not so sure in this particular case. Trust me, I hesitated while I was doing, but quite honestly I didn't mind the end result at all. That said, for the next version I'm going to try out a more metallic look instead. 

Eyes 100% need to be fixed also try looking at other logos with basketballs incorporated.... yes it has that retro feel but teams such as the nets, pelicans, and wizards all have they're own different look. Maybe a different angle of the ball would be good

Archived