US Soccer 2018 World Cup Concept by Scheuer

Scheuer

I know what you're thinking, another US Soccer concept? Stay with me on this one. When US Soccer went through their rebranding, I was really excited. I thought nothing could get as bad as how the team's branding was before. However, the brand went in a completely different direction than I wanted. I think the federation in general should have taken on a more vintage, collegiate look instead of trying to be very modern with their designs. The font is too spread out and rounded for me, while the kits look way too modern and futuristic. In addition, instead of building on old jersey designs and giving them a breath of fresh air, it seems as if every cycle they just try to come up with something completely different. The federation is ignoring the 100+ years of history and other uniquely American design elements that they can bring to the table to honor the history of soccer in America. With this concept for the 2018 World Cup, I intended to hearken back to the storied history of the national team and give America a classic, vintage, traditional, but modern look.

spread_3000x.thumb.png.554253db47a30a88d07b83fa29684d4f.png

With this new set of kits, the idea was to establish a new orthodoxy of how US Soccer designs kits. I struggled quite a bit with which of the many looks the team has had over the years to retain, but I tried to keep it as simple as possible. The primary kit must always be primarily white, the secondary be primarily blue, and the alternate to feature some kind of red and white striping. 

So, let's start with the primary kit. I went with the standard US white kit, but with some special touches. The concept of the primary kit is to create a kit that pays homage to the national team's history and unrelenting fighting spirit. I chose to draw from the famous Gadsden Flag and the image of the rattlesnake. First, the jersey crest is located on the chest, in homage to the original US Soccer jerseys. A diamond design inspired by rattlesnake skin is sublimated on the front of the jersey. The kit is rounded out with navy shorts, and socks with subtle hoop designs. Additionally, "Don't Tread on Me" lies on the inside of the kit under the collar.

The secondary kit draws from decades of US Soccer employing a sash on kits. This installment features a dark navy sash across the jersey. The shorts feature red stripes down the side, and are paired with inverted socks. "EST. 1913" lies under the collar on the inside of the jersey.

Lastly is the Waldo-style alternate kit. Only for special occasions, such as big rivalry games, the main feature of the kit is obviously the red and white stripes. Darker red pinstriping lies inside of the red stripes. The kit borrows the shorts and socks from the primary set. "Stars and Stripes Forever" lies under the collar on the inside of the kit.

With this set of kits, the US gets a classic look that draws from a lot of different eras and influences, but still retails the sleek minimalist look that Nike is currently producing.

Let me know how I did! Enjoy!

I think you did a great job with these. There's no need to overthink them and what you have is very straight forward and very clean. Would definitely buy that alternate.

XcryMwi.png

23 hours ago, HRC4 said:

I think you did a great job with these. There's no need to overthink them and what you have is very straight forward and very clean. Would definitely buy that alternate.

Thanks a ton! The aim was to definitely have something simple that isn't overthought.

I would not use any Gadsden Flag imagery or "Don't Tread On Me." That stuff has been adopted by far-right wingers and its usage, at the very least, would be seen as politicizing the USMNT brand. At the very worst, DTOM and the Gadsden would alienate a lot of US soccer fans because they skew younger and liberal.

EDIT: DTOM was used in 2010. But I still think that with today's even-more hyper-political world, it wouldn't go over well. Let Sam's Army and AO have it. 

That said, I do admire and respect the thought and time you put into this concept. Not a slap-dash effort, and there's a reason for each element. 

Archived