Updated Detroit Red Wings Logo

mattr1198

Hi all,

As many of you know, the Detroit Red Wings logo is the oldest logo in the NHL right now. As sacrilegious as this sounds, I decided to modernize/refresh the look of the Red Wings' classic logo quite a bit. Some of the new updates would include:

1. A New Wheel: The most prominent difference is the updated wheel, reflecting a modern car wheel cover. Additionally, the cap now showcases the rarely used alternate "D" logo.

2. Updated/Significant Wings and Feathers: On the current logo, the feathers are relatively rough and hard to replicate on merchandise. I decided to smoothen out the feathers on the wings, while also adding a bit of significance to the feathers too. If you take a look, the back feathers contain 11 "dents", representing the 11 stanley cups the team has won.

3. Minor smoothing: Rougher/inconsistent edges are smoothened out and evened.

4. New Font: The current font used by the Red Wings reflects the same font as the former home, Joe Louis Arena. In order to reflect the change into the new arena, I updated the serif for the team as well.

This is a bit rough, but tell me what y'all think if the Red Wings chose to do this?

OLD:

Detroit_Red_Wings_logo.svg.thumb.png.e07de3fac229bff8afeae2cfeb7181b7.png

NEW:

5988ab69e1af7_RedWingsModernizedLogo.thumb.jpg.b8e7250d24ee3eb425e2651d5406a6c4.jpg

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

This doesn't work for me. One of the reasons to me that the Red Wings logo is so great is because the wheel and feathers complement each other nicely. On your update, They don't look all that great together. I'm also not a fan on the 11 dents, because what happens when Detroit wins another cup? I also think the font shouldn't be that modern, as the Wings are a team with so much history. I applaud you for the attempt, which is no easy task, but this doesn't cut it.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

6 hours ago, NoE38 said:

This doesn't work for me. One of the reasons to me that the Red Wings logo is so great is because the wheel and feathers complement each other nicely. On your update, They don't look all that great together. I'm also not a fan on the 11 dents, because what happens when Detroit wins another cup? I also think the font shouldn't be that modern, as the Wings are a team with so much history. I applaud you for the attempt, which is no easy task, but this doesn't cut it.

Yeah that's what I feared, and thats why I mention that this is a sacrilegious concept, because I really don't see the Red Wings changing their logo anytime in the future, unlike other original six teams. I just thought it'd be fun to try it out.

With regard to the 11 dents, though, the simple way they could have changed it is just refresh the logo, similar to what the Islanders did with their old logo when they re-introduced it, adding a 4th band to the hockey stick to reflect the 4th stanley cup they won, while the old logo only had 3.

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

Archived