British Flash League - A Fictional Sport

TekkogsSteve

Hi. Here is my fictional league of a sport named "flash", a sport based of a game I played at school. I'm still learning inkscape so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lets start of with the logo of the league.  

I wanted to create something simple and iconic. The logo is supposed to be a literal take on the word flash and the red is in the configuration of the British  flag.

59a0767e106e0_bfllogo.thumb.png.6497bed4b6315a70571193eef74ba62d.png

But what is flash? Basically, flash is a game where players throw a cylindrical object, underarm, over a crossbar and between the posts so that it goes to the other side, where the opponents will catch it and throw it back. You get a point if the it lands on the opponents side without them catching it or the opposing team throws it outside the field of play, which is made of synthetic hardcourt similar to that of what is used in the Australian and US Opens.

The ball, known as a flash, is a wooden cylinder lined with vulcanized rubber. It is 20 cm long and has a diameter of 6 cm.flash.thumb.png.54fd37aba70ed9c21735ca8a851e3e45.png 

The field is 20m by 10m with each side being 10x10 metres, slightly larger than a volleyball court. The difference between volleyball and flash is that in flash you can catch the ball and run with it. Also, you have to throw it in between the posts, which are 5 metres long, and over the crossbar, which is 3 metres high.

Each roster has 10 spots with 5 players playing a game, there are no substitutions. 3 players must be in front of the 5 metre line (pretty self-explanitory) at all times.

The positions, going left to right, are: left forward, centre forward, right forward, left back and right back. The backs are generally more athletic as they have to cover more ground and the centre forward usually orchestrates the team by calling plays designed to deceive the opponents.

599f37710e45b_flashpitch.thumb.png.94d736500bdde5ad023519c5e3203864.png

I hope you like my concept. Team designs will follow and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Seems like a pretty easy sport to follow. Questions on rules first: How is the winner determined? Is there a form of a "shot clock"?

Secondly, I'm not a fan of the league logo. It seems like it needs to be contained somehow, and with the shape of the logo, I would go with a roundel that could also enclose the words "British Flash League". This would make it more of 1 coherent logo instead of a burst and a wordmark (which seems more like 2 separate entities).

13 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Seems like a pretty easy sport to follow. Questions on rules first: How is the winner determined? Is there a form of a "shot clock"?

Secondly, I'm not a fan of the league logo. It seems like it needs to be contained somehow, and with the shape of the logo, I would go with a roundel that could also enclose the words "British Flash League". This would make it more of 1 coherent logo instead of a burst and a wordmark (which seems more like 2 separate entities).

Sorry, I forgot to mention it it the first post. Have time is taken when one team has scored 15 and the winner is the first team to score 30

Thanks for your feedback on the logo.  I see what you mean and I'll make that adjustment when I have time tomorrow

The first team unveiled was the London Lightning.59a3106d3c97c_lightninglogo.thumb.png.997918d11c1b24ae2e6a40a892e7fb59.png

The logo is a lightning bolt monogram LL that morphs into the word mark. The partial/alternate logo is the monogram

59a3118342d38_lightningpartial.png.36a54609ce68e81f94602c29a0d0d4ab.png

All flash uniforms feature a tank top, shorts and a cap (as it is played outdoors and the flash gets thrown into the sun a lot). These jerseys have the bolt design as a stripe down the middle and as a trim. the word mark is at the bottom of the back as is tradition in flash and the partial logo is on the top left, like most British sports. The BFL logo is on the top right  

59a31286a0a1d_lightninghome.thumb.png.945fbf792ac7866b3688cf499de39799.png59a31294b0480_lightningaway.thumb.png.8ed97b0caf41fe7536063183faf1a541.png

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I totally get where you're going with the boLLt (see what I did there? :) ) However, I don't think the Lightning's L translates as it's currently drawn. It looks to me like you're trying to do a "normal" looking lightning bolt, but it should be a bit more abstract to make both parts look like Ls.

4 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I totally get where you're going with the boLLt (see what I did there? :) ) However, I don't think the Lightning's L translates as it's currently drawn. It looks to me like you're trying to do a "normal" looking lightning bolt, but it should be a bit more abstract to make both parts look like Ls.

I originally had it like that but I thought it looked weird

59a464c864a09_LIGHTNINGALTERNATE.png.29353a554a5e88a37598e6fe8c95ec05.png 

Now for the first team in the northern conference and one from another capital city, and my hometown, the Edinburgh Kings.

59a4848db9c2d_kingslogo.thumb.png.f4e88a43bc6dd4ae62acd305fe06544c.png

based of Edinburgh Castle, the medieval seat of the Scottish king and most iconic part of the city. It also features a sublimated saltire.

The home is GSW type uniform and the away is heavily inspired by the Scottish flag 

59a485a041652_kingshome.thumb.png.e66999aec0c6c7b210c5cdac83f5f22d.png59a48597ba041_kingsaway.thumb.png.bd8ebd2a21acd193b0e9d9cea3034bf9.png

Archived