SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS x JORDAN BRAND Concept

iamdaviinci

San Diego State's basketball program recently joined the exclusive list of teams outfitted by Jordan Brand. As an under-the-radar program relative to most of the others on Jordan Brand's roster - UNC, Georgetown, Marquette, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, and Houston - I began investigating SDSU's identity. 

While their football team has a very unique and relevant look, the same can't be said for their basketball team. Their home and away uniforms are incredibly bland, though I do enjoy the clean, classic look of their throwbacks. In addition to the blandness, the typeface feels a bit dated and the colors lack purpose.

Starting with a new template I've been working on for NBA concepts, I employed a design very similar to that of the Cleveland Cavaliers' Statement Edition jerseys. I recognized the scapula highlights from SDSU's Kawhi Leonard-era uniforms, and the additional highlight on the front collar helps add intrigue. (Side note: I greatly appreciate @aawagner011 and the NIKExNBA template that was shared here on the forum; I found the tags and some of the curves to be especially helpful in developing my template!)

Next, I cleaned up the typeface for the home and away uniforms -- it preserves the sentiment of what they currently use, but with less rounded characters and less angular serifs. It also eliminates spacing issues by separating 'SAN DIEGO' from 'STATE' and placing the numerals in between. The alternate uniform receives a cursive 'Aztecs' script.

Finally, I took some inspiration from Nike's emphasized use of color in the NBA to create a more vibrant and exciting look. SDSU's identity previously contained metallic gold - from 2002 through 2012 - and it makes a reappearance here as an accent color on all three uniforms. The use of metallic gold accentuates black and red as primary colors and helps differentiate SDSU from other black, red, and white teams (Louisville, Texas Tech, UNLV, New Mexico, etc.). 

With simplicity being the dominant aesthetic in college basketball currently, I avoided adding clutter via side panels or additional trim. I have yet to finish my template for the shorts, but that would likely be where additional design elements and logos are placed to create a cohesive look. 

Please let me know your thoughts -- any and all thoughts, ideas, comments, and criticisms are greatly appreciated!

SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS x JORDAN BRAND - Home Uniform

KU2Q6tW.jpg

SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS x JORDAN BRAND - Away Uniform

OKvQTPE.jpg

SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS x JORDAN BRAND - Alternate Uniform

KeNAshQ.jpg

That template though....

regarding the concepts not much id change if at all. they look fantastic. id be interested to see if they had color on the collar/shoulder, but understand why you didn't.

I was thinking of trying to make my own template but it would be shameful compared to this. Overall great job!

I don't think they'll be putting your logo on their chest :)

These look good.  Part of me wants to suggest working red into the wordmarks on the primaries...I feel like gold is the more tertiary color.  I actually think replacing the white with red might look good on the black jersey.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 hours ago, BigBryArab said:

That template though....

regarding the concepts not much id change if at all. they look fantastic. id be interested to see if they had color on the collar/shoulder, but understand why you didn't.

I was thinking of trying to make my own template but it would be shameful compared to this. Overall great job!

I appreciate the kind words! The template has taken quite a bit of time, and it still isn't nearly as user-friendly as I'd like it to be, but I'm happy to hear the final product turns out presentable!

As for the collar and armhole trim, that's something I've struggled with on a number of NBA concepts. I almost always start out with a singular, linear vision and work until it's completed -- for example, collar and armhole trim was never a consideration here, it was always going to be the subtler hits of color at the neckline and near the scapulae. The collar and armhole trim you suggested could totally work, though, and yet my creative vision is a bit too narrow at times to see that.

This goes along with a potential project I've been thinking of that focuses on a singular team and explores as many design options as possible -- different combinations of bases, side panels, collar and armhole trims, wordmarks, numerals, etc. I think it could be a fascinating exercise in learning what does and doesn't work when it comes to creating, revising, and finalizing a design concept. 

4 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't think they'll be putting your logo on their chest :)

These look good.  Part of me wants to suggest working red into the wordmarks on the primaries...I feel like gold is the more tertiary color.  I actually think replacing the white with red might look good on the black jersey.  

I'd be pretty puzzled if they did!

You make a good point re: gold being the more tertiary color -- I certainly have a tendency to overuse metallic gold whenever I incorporate it. I think it's important to keep the colors of the wordmarks and numerals different, but I think a bit more red on the black jersey could go a long way. Perhaps a red stroke around the wordmarks instead of a gold one would suffice? Then the white stroke from the numerals could probably stand to come off as well?

2 hours ago, HRC4 said:

Agree on the template. It's fantastic. Any chance to see some shorts with it?

Thanks a lot! I definitely intend to add shorts to the template, though it'll probably be a while before I get around to it. 

5 minutes ago, andyfootball67 said:

really enjoy the simplicity of this design. Just enough going to to keep me interested!!

Thanks for the input! I get carried away with patterns, panels, etc., so the main goals here were simplicity and intrigue -- I'm happy to hear you see both!

Archived