St. Petersburg Rays concept

The_Admiral

I came up with this because the four-word sequence that is "Tampa Bay Devil Rays" has become so associated with futility over the last eight years, that another rebranding might help. Also, I heard that some St. Petersburg residents were rather miffed that they paid for the Suncoast Dome and everything for the White Sox back in the 80s, only to have its eventual tenant be a Tampa team. So I ripped off the Cardinals cap and made a new concept set. I made use of the font "Gainsborough." I like it.

stpraysmain.jpg

stphat.jpg

stphome.jpg

stproad.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I heard that some St. Petersburg residents were rather miffed that they paid for the Suncoast Dome and everything for the White Sox back in the 80s, only to have its eventual tenant be a Tampa team.

I have one of those "Florida White Sox" t-shirts around here some where.

What I want to see are the jerseys that Namoli had made up to show at the press conference when he was going to announce the Giants were coming to St. Petersburg.

Unfortunately, Fay Vincent was never going to let the Giants move to The Dome. He did everything he could to delay so that the Safeway guy could buy them.

Just another reason to hate the Giants...and Barry Bonds.

Much could be said about the Mariners, A's and Rangers too.

(Notice when Bonds hit his 700th HR, there was a collective sigh that went up around the country?)

It's not the teams' faults that St. Petersburg was the Designated Dangling Carrot for baseball in the 80s and 90s. It's a necessary evil in sports. Ask Portland.

daytropnoroof.jpg

tropnightnoroof.jpg

I say, it doesn't look half bad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's not the teams' faults that St. Petersburg was the Designated Dangling Carrot for baseball in the 80s and 90s. It's a necessary evil in sports. Ask Portland.

daytropnoroof.jpg

tropnightnoroof.jpg

I say, it doesn't look half bad.

That top photo looks almost exactly like Kauffman Stadium, while the outfield facade in the bottom pic reminds me a bit like Yankee Stadium.

I actually like the uniforms. They're plain, but I'll take plain over the Rainbow Gradient Nightmares this team started with. The colors are unique, and the font is unique but not utterly out of line.

Two thoughts:

1. The "T" and "P" on the cap logo look transposed. Maybe it's because I am used to the Cardinals' logo. But I always think of the "T" as more of an appendage of the "S" than something that should stand on its own.

2. The stripes on the pants are almost "football wide".

Otherwise, I could live with these.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Of topic a bit, but I went to the Trop last night to see the Yankees-D-Rays game. It was the first time I've been able to get for a Yankees Game the day of the game (I just moved from NJ). It was a good half hour before I saw anyone wearing Devil Rays stuff, just Yankee jersey's. Even one of the shops in the stadium had Yankee jersey's in the window. If felt like a Yankees home game except empty. That stadium itself is horrible. I want to know who's bright idea it was to put low lights, catwalks, and a white roof (same thing for the Met) for a place where baseball was meant to be played.

Archived