Updated LSU Helmets

davidmiller5

College football has started again, and I was reminded again of how LSU's helmets don't match the rest of their logos, graphics, and even colors. I am sure they keep their helmet unchanged because of their tradition, and I am sure their fan base would go apoplectic with even slight modifications to their helmet. I have lived in either Central Ohio or Alabama almost all of my life, so I understand college football fans of historic programs and their value of traditions.

That being said, what I do not like is when the athletic department changes logos and graphics without messing with the helmets. I am not really a big fan of LSU's colors and logos, but they should at least have helmets that use fonts, logos, and colors that the school currently uses. Currently, the football helmet doesn't even match the football jerseys. If the script and logo on the helmet are so timeless, they would still be using the logo and font elsewhere.

Here is their current design:

lsurealhelmet.jpg

As I said earlier, my problem is not so much with the actual design (even though I personally am not a fan), it is that it no longer matches what the rest of their athletic department looks like. In fact, the purple on the helmet doesn't match the purple on their jerseys.

105620667_display_image.jpg?1298001459

I think that LSU should keep their helmet design the same to appease the fan base, but they should use the font that they use in their end zones and the school's main tiger logo.

So here is my suggestion:

lsuhelmet2.jpg

I have taken the script from their end zone and changed the tiger decal. In addition I have made their face masks and stripes the official LSU purple so that it matches their jerseys.

I think that these would be small enough changes to respect tradition and keep a fan base somewhat mollified, yet give LSU a design that fits with the rest of their look.

Personally, I would like for them to have a more major redesign, but I doubt that would happen. (Their white helmets with gold trim from a year or two ago were a nice upgrade.)

For fun I decided to do some alternate helmets.

This one uses the eye from their midfield. I think it would be used one time a season for a special game.

lsuhelmet3.jpg

I saw that LSU recently trademarked a new logo. I think that they are mainly using it as a small logo on polo shirts, etc. (I could be wrong), but I like it and put it on a helmet that would be quite different.

lsuhelmet4.jpg

I also took just the head from the previous logo and tried that. (I was dealing with a low-quality image, so it isn't very crisp.)

lsuhelmet5.jpg

award%20sig.png

Archived