What are/were the worst block letter primary logos?

altosax29b

If the Bengals get so much flack for having a B as a logo, Why don't the Falcons get the same treatment for having an F?

Stupid double standards....

The Falcons logo is barely an F. It's a bird first and foremost, and kinda sorta a little bit an F if you convince yourself that there's an F there.

Nickname-based initial logos are stupid. It's really stupid in baseball, mostly due to the tradition and history of the original teams not really having "official" nicknames and just being the "Boston" team (and then the nicknames evolving organically), but I guess in 2014 with the emphasis on branding, you have situations where there are teams like the Angles who despite the battle to use the LA local, really just market themselves as "The Angles". These are (mostly) private businesses afterall, and maybe it's time to quit making believe that the city really means anything anymore. I guess forking up hundreds of millions for a stadium doesn't get your initial on a logo anymore. Maybe a billion still does.

I certainly wouldn't call the White Sox "Sox" logo "really stupid," but to each their own. I think it works just fine as their primary and their cap logo. I'd much prefer what they have now to an Old English "C" on their caps. Their division rivals already have that look down.

The Angles used their current logo when they were the Anaheim Angles, so you could make an argument that the "A" could have stood for either Anahiem or Angels (as is the case for the Cubs, Marlins, Phillies and Pirates). Would adding an "L" to the logo really improve it all that much?

But I do agree with you that the city doesn't mean much anymore as far as the fans are concerned It's all about marketing and making money. The 49ers just recently reaffirmed that to be true.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got to thinking about this because of how much I hate the Indians primary logo. I know they're in a difficult position with Chief Wahoo, and the C logo has some history, but it just seems like a bad attempt to emulate some of the classic block letter primaries in sports.

5347_cleveland_indians-primary-2014.png

Just put a bear inside it and we're good?

Sorry, just find it interesting that with so much "hate" for a block C, you use a similar red block C as your avatar. :)

Block letter logos or monograms seem more appropriate for colleges. Also, the Cleveland C is incredibly bland when compared to Chief Wahoo which was one of the boldest, most easily recognizable primaries in baseball. Now they're just left with a C that the average person would not recognize at all. Their only hope is if they stick with it for the next few decades and it gets engrained in people's head that block red C = Cleveland Indians.

But isn't there some other issue in regards to Chief Wahoo? I seem to remember something....

I would continue this conversation but we're not really supposed to talk about that on this message board.

Tf9TG.jpg

Archived