Storm Tracking: The Future of the Carolina Hurricanes

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

You know, getting the Hurricanes out of Raleigh-Durham would open up some corporate dollars for Major League Baseball. I think most people there would make that trade. Just gotta hope Karmanos doesn't use the money from the sale to buy the baseball team, hire Brandon Inge as his general manager, and start another war with Mike Ilitch.

I was gonna say, Quebec gets a hockey team, North Carolina gets a baseball team.  I think the universe would appreciate that.

Not sure if the Canadiens will be moving to Orlando to bring the Expos back.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I dunno, man.  AAA ball, sure. But the major leagues rely on huge attendance numbers as well as lots of local corporate support. 

Raleigh could squeak by. If it's such a fast-growing market filled with such wonderfully smart and well-paid people, as THE CANIACS like to tell us, then there shouldn't be too much a problem. It'd be about the same as Milwaukee. Bell sounds serious about reviving the Expos, so the 32nd team has to go somewhere, and Portland doesn't seem interested.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Except "fast-growing markets" have historically been terrible baseball markets. People move there with their old loyalties intact.  You could end up with another Tampa Bay Rays situation, where your Raleigh Whatevers are the second or third most popular team in their own hometown. 

Baseball is very dependent on local revenues.  If the Hurricanes are struggling and eventually move, that makes baseball seem even less likely. 

And while Bell may indeed be serious, there's no indication at all that MLB is in any way interested in cutting another slice of the pie. 

Archived