Identity Crisis

Uglybus

Hello all!

Welcome to a project I may not finish. If anyone wants this idea once I lose interest,  they can take it. 

Anyways, this series is called Identity Crisis. What I'm going to do is create an identity and we will get to see how it will evolve over the years. For example, the first team is a soccer team that will endure the crazy-creepy 70s, the crazy-CRAZY 90s, and the dull 2000s. 

I'll try to do multiple sports, like soccer, baseball, hockey, and football. 

The first team is the Phoenix Saguaros. In 1971, they were given an expansion in the NASL. Their home stadium is Sun Devil Stadium.

The inaugural uniforms and logo include the word "Phoenix" and the player's number on the front. For the logo, I wanted to go for something 'unintentionally' creepy. I think I nailed it. Here is the set. image.thumb.jpeg.0ee1f13b84d5fb39fab53df

Credit to TheGiantsFan for the template. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Guest darkpiranha
2 hours ago, Uglybus said:

Any C&C?

You gotta put a little more effort into these if you want any serious C&C.  This is the second concept series you've started where right out of the gate your first examples are incredibly sloppy and rushed.   In some of your other threads, people have suggested that you upgrade from pencil crayons, but I don't even think you're using that.  Those look like pure Crayola crayons and half the time you aren't even coloring in the lines.    

If you're actually just a kid under the age of 13 or so, and this is your first time trying this sort of thing and just don't have access to anything better than crayons, then I can cut you a little slack. But if you are really interested in trying to get better at this, then you need to ask your parents to take you to an art store or a Hobby Lobby and get a quality batch of Prismacolor pencil crayons at first, and then start watching YouTube videos about Photoshop until you get excited enough about it to convince your parents that the $10 a month (with your student discount) is worth the money for you to really start getting serious about graphic design.  

Secondly, it's usually not a good idea to start off a series by saying "I'm probably not going to finish this and you can have it if you want."  Right away, that makes me think that you're going to bail on this pretty quickly and that any effort I might put in to critiquing is going to be wasted.  If you're excited about a series, then commit to it and keep at it, even if you aren't always getting feedback or attaboys.  The great designers on this board are the ones who have embraced feedback and have remained committed to getting better and following through on what they say they are wanting to create.  

I agree with the two previous comments. But we all have to start somewhere right?

As for the design, it doesn't look like a soccer concept. Most soccer teams have a crest that is on the upper part of the kit not a wordmark.

For examples and inspiration, check out these threads:

(click on quote heading)

Continue to work to get better. Also use a ruler to draw the numbers instead of free handed. 

IxkieML.png

3 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

You gotta put a little more effort into these if you want any serious C&C.  This is the second concept series you've started where right out of the gate your first examples are incredibly sloppy and rushed.   In some of your other threads, people have suggested that you upgrade from pencil crayons, but I don't even think you're using that.  Those look like pure Crayola crayons and half the time you aren't even coloring in the lines.    

If you're actually just a kid under the age of 13 or so, and this is your first time trying this sort of thing and just don't have access to anything better than crayons, then I can cut you a little slack. But if you are really interested in trying to get better at this, then you need to ask your parents to take you to an art store or a Hobby Lobby and get a quality batch of Prismacolor pencil crayons at first, and then start watching YouTube videos about Photoshop until you get excited enough about it to convince your parents that the $10 a month (with your student discount) is worth the money for you to really start getting serious about graphic design.  

Secondly, it's usually not a good idea to start off a series by saying "I'm probably not going to finish this and you can have it if you want."  Right away, that makes me think that you're going to bail on this pretty quickly and that any effort I might put in to critiquing is going to be wasted.  If you're excited about a series, then commit to it and keep at it, even if you aren't always getting feedback or attaboys.  The great designers on this board are the ones who have embraced feedback and have remained committed to getting better and following through on what they say they are wanting to create.  

First off, thank you for actually commenting! I want to get better, but I don't really have any resources to work with. I am working with crayons, as I don't have the money or time to buy fancy pencils. EDIT: they are only $17. That's not bad. 

I agree that I need to slow down. I think my problem is that my mind starts working faster than my hand, so it looks pretty bad. It's a habit I'm going to stop. 

I can't really use the computer because it's about a decade old. (In fact, it's kind of a miricle that I could even print out the template.) So, I'm stuck with doing hand drawn stuff. 

2 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

Continue to work to get better. Also use a ruler to draw the numbers instead of free handed. 

Will do!

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Archived