High School Baseball Redesign

KCDesign

The following is a overhaul of the current baseball programs at a local high school, Shawnee Mission South. Obviously funding for the projects would be an issue, but this is all hypothetical. 

Current Uniforms

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 9.30.37 AM.png\

Here is our current uniform set. Varsity uses a two uni set, wearing all white for home games, and the green uniform with white pants for road games. Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 9.31.52 AM.png

JV uses the old varsity gray uniforms, and these are my personal favorite unis in the program. On the right is the official school roundel logo, which is pretty sweet imo. 

All uniforms throughout the program use the same hat, close up below. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 9.48.52 AM.png

Current Field

Currently, the field at the high school is overgrown with weeds, and games are not played there. Last year, one game was held in part of the 50th year of SMS celebration. Below are some current pictures of the field.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 9.39.46 AM.png

The pictures show the current dugout, field, and overall facility conditions. Right now there is a plan in the works for new hitting cages and a "spring training" bullpen area. As of right now, there is an unused bullpen in left field along with an unused hitting cage. The bullpen in right field is half concrete, and floods when it rains. Overall, the field has drainage issues, but there is potential. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 10.30.58 AM.png

Here is the area the current field is. This would simply be torn up, leveled, and a new field built on top of it. 

New Uniforms

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 9.36.07 AM.png

The new uniform set uses three uniforms.

Home - The home set uses a cream jersey and cream pants, with an all green hat. The left sleeve (player) features the roundel logo used throughout the school. This doesn't stray too far from the current set, but I simplified it. 

Road - The road set is all gray, topped off with a gray/green hat. "SMS" featured on the front of the uniform, rather than "South". These uniforms are based off the current JV set. 

Alt - The alternate set uses a green jersey, and can be worn with either cream or gray pants. This is based off the uniforms used in the 80's, only difference is the sleeve patch. Hat used is the same as the current hat. 

General Notes on Uniforms

Hats can be interchanged, except the gray hat is never to be worn with an uniform involving cream (if green uniform uses gray pants, gray hat can be worn)

Field Update

The field is completely new, all turf, and features a new locker room, hitting cages, and bullpens. The new field would make the facility nice enough to be able to hold games at the school. Lights are not included, so only day games would be available until lights are purchased. 

Dimensions 

290' LF

370' CF

310' RF

Wall Height 7'

Wall Height at Cages 13'

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 10.23.02 AM.png

Arial view shows the new stands behind home plate, including a concession stand, and the new entrance down the right field line which holds a ticket booth and concession stand. Fans can either sit in the stands behind home plate, or bring lawn chairs and blankets and sit in the grass areas down each baseline. Various field equipment (rolling BP cage, L-screens, throwing nets, etc) can be stored near the clubhouse (gates in walls). Adequate parking is now provided for both the baseball field and the football stadium beyond the center field wall. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 10.23.21 AM.png

Here are the new facilities. To the left is the locker room, which is much closer to the field than the 1/2 mile walk down to the field every day that players take currently. There is also a spring training style bullpen, which contains 6 mounds that can be used for practices, and used as a formal bullpen during games. There are 4 new hitting cages, three full size cages and a shorter cage. The full size cages allow for batters to take BP off live pitching. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 10.19.43 AM.png

Home plate view, with the football stadium in the backdrop, provides good batters eye for the hitter. 

Hope everyone likes it, C&C is well appreciated!

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 9.55.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 9.56.34 PM.png

1 hour ago, Xamboni said:

Surprised no one has commented yet. 

Great work. I imagine you'd have the colors on the new jerseys/hats to match? They just aren't matching right now.

The field work looks amazing, well done. Are you going to present it to your Principal/Coach?

Thanks! Our team uses The Game brand hats, so that's what I made the hats in, and the gray in their builder was too dark, but I feel like it gets the point across well enough. Same thing for the green. Unfortunately, being that we just got that new green/yellow uniform, and the fact that the school district has put $7 million into renovations for various athletic facility upgrades, I believe all of this, especially the field, would be out of the question as far as budget is concerned. 

3 hours ago, KCDesign said:

Thanks! Our team uses The Game brand hats, so that's what I made the hats in, and the gray in their builder was too dark, but I feel like it gets the point across well enough. Same thing for the green. Unfortunately, being that we just got that new green/yellow uniform, and the fact that the school district has put $7 million into renovations for various athletic facility upgrades, I believe all of this, especially the field, would be out of the question as far as budget is concerned. 

Just because it doesn't happen tomorrow, doesn't mean it won't happen ever. I say put it forward man!

Archived