Alt Universe Baseball Logo (Seattle Sea Otters, Sketchbook Pro)

spideyock

This is my first time trying my hand at graphic design, and I wanted to see what others thought. I'm not an artist, and I don't have an incredibly deep understanding of graphic design- I assume what I drew has bad vectoring, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about what vectors are, or what adding the suffix 'ing' to the word vector actually means. So if this is offensively amateur, feel free to let me know and I'll scrub this post! Just wondering if this is anything. 

seattleseaotters3.png

1ASeattleKingOttersSmall copy.png

8 hours ago, spideyock said:

This is my first time trying my hand at graphic design, and I wanted to see what others thought. I'm not an artist, and I don't have an incredibly deep understanding of graphic design- I assume what I drew has bad vectoring, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about what vectors are, or what adding the suffix 'ing' to the word vector actually means. So if this is offensively amateur, feel free to let me know and I'll scrub this post! Just wondering if this is anything. 

seattleseaotters3.png

The primary logo is really nice. I like it a lot. It is a bit busy, but I dont think that is an issue.

The secondary logo needs some work. I had to really zoom in to see what that was. You can't see the O. It needs to be a different color. The secondary also just looks sloppy. 

Overall, I think you did a good job on the primary, but the secondary needs work.

You've got a really good start, the otter rendering is a superb. Love the Space Needle in the shading. To take it to the next level, I'd suggest simplifying to make it easier to read. Right now, you have 5 colors going, which I think is at least one too many. Replace all the black with the darker blue, and maybe darken that darker blue to increase contrast. The second way you can improve is by cutting out some extraneous lines, and thickening the lines you have. The whiskers especially will be lost at small sizes. A final suggestion would be to change your outlines and shading to be more geometric than they are now. You have an excellent illustration, but simplifying will make it seem more like a logo. Try to use as few lines as possible to get your meaning across, and you'll have a bolder, more effective mark.

4 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

The primary logo is really nice. I like it a lot. It is a bit busy, but I dont think that is an issue.

The secondary logo needs some work. I had to really zoom in to see what that was. You can't see the O. It needs to be a different color. The secondary also just looks sloppy. 

Overall, I think you did a good job on the primary, but the secondary needs work.

Thanks for the feedback!

I had planned for the secondary logo to sit on a navy cap, but if it only works in certain contexts, then it probably isn't a very good logo. Appreciate it!

2 hours ago, jmoe12 said:

You've got a really good start, the otter rendering is a superb. Love the Space Needle in the shading. To take it to the next level, I'd suggest simplifying to make it easier to read. Right now, you have 5 colors going, which I think is at least one too many. Replace all the black with the darker blue, and maybe darken that darker blue to increase contrast. The second way you can improve is by cutting out some extraneous lines, and thickening the lines you have. The whiskers especially will be lost at small sizes. A final suggestion would be to change your outlines and shading to be more geometric than they are now. You have an excellent illustration, but simplifying will make it seem more like a logo. Try to use as few lines as possible to get your meaning across, and you'll have a bolder, more effective mark.

I'll definitely keep that in mind as I tinker with it. Thanks for the kind words and advice!

On 8/31/2017 at 2:51 AM, spideyock said:

seattleseaotters3.png

My advice would be to make the actual logo more simple like others have said, and maybe make the roundel around the letters only navy to increase legibility.  

On the abbreviation logo, i think making the logo navy and making the drop shadow yellow, and then either keeping the letters as is or making the letters either only sky blue or only white.  Maybe provide both variations to see how they both look?

Overall the start is fantastic though!

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

Archived