WHAT IF: The NASL never died?

WideRight

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

Only a handful of teams left to reveal.  Just Atlanta, Detroit and Tulsa left if I am tallying these up correctly.  So, 1 more day of designs to go. 

If the original list of 26 markets was accurate, Atlanta, Detroit, St. Louis, and Tulsa remain to be revealed.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pollard7545 said:

Can I get those PES designs....I would like to create them for FIFA 16

Sorry, but PES limits you to 10 designs for free (which is only 5 teams) so I have been designing on PES, using screenshot to create an image and then cropping the photo to get the images you have seen.  So, I don't have the 2d PES formats to share.  

OK, here we go.  Brian in Boston was right, I have 4 teams left, so 2 today and 2 tomorrow. 

TULSA ROUGHNECKS

Sponsor: Sonic

Colors: Bright red, black.

There was not a lot about the original Roughnecks identity that works as a modern logo/crest.  So, we take the derrick, add a large oil drop, build it on a shield, and we have something that makes sense in today's world.  The split between the 2 halves of the team name is not ideal, but I wanted some text included. 

spacer.png

For the home kit I started off with an Arsenal-style sleeve treatment, but decided to go with more of a yoke style to add more black.  

spacer.pngspacer.png

For the away kit, I went white again.  I realize I have done that a lot, but there is such a history of US-based sports teams using white as the alternative to their colored jersey, that it just seems appropriate in many cases to do the same in soccer.

spacer.pngspacer.png 

ATLANTA FC

Sponsor: Coca-Cola

Colors: Red, white, yellow

Is it me or did the NASL have just a ton of red-based teams.  Anyway, it seems unlikely that the "Chiefs" name would be retained over the decades, so it is an unofficial nickname for AFC.  The logo is designed to look like a lot of the German Bundesliga crests, which like to use odd shapes and lettering.  Pretty basic, but not all soccer logos are complex crests. 

spacer.png

I tried a half-half design for AFC, but decided to go quadrants instead, just to have one team in the league that uses a quadrant/quarter theme. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Went a totally different direction for the aways.  This is all about the peaches.  Green & Orange to evoke Georgia's big state fruit.  It takes what ATL United did with peach orange and bumps it up a few notches. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

OK, the last 2 franchises and 2 where I felt that there was almost nothing in the original/actual NASL designs worth keeping.  Both were pretty bad. 

DETROIT EXPRESS SC

Sponsor: GM

Colors: Honolulu Blue and Navy

Decided to go with more of a Lions vibe with the team.  The logo is pretty basic (It seems like as I have gotten closer to the end I have favored very simple, monogram, logos).  

spacer.png

And I finally get my half & half jersey into the league.  I added a bit of Nike vapor on the sleeves and yoke to add something to the halves.  The navy is barely used at all. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

On the clash kit, I decided to again go with a Lions callback and use tones of silver/grey as the alternate. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

And the final team...

ST. LOUIS STARS

Sponsor: Budweiser (Anheiser-Busch)

Colors: Blue & white

Another monogram logo in the Bundesliga or Eriedivisie style.  I tried a few with the Gateway Arch and just got sick of the arch, so no arch with this STL team. 

spacer.png

Decided to go very classic with the kit, blue & white stripes.  We don't have that many striped teams, and this helps distinguish STL from other blue-focused teams. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

For the clash, Budweiser pushed for a red alternate, so the Stars gave them what they wanted. A little bit of an Arsenal vibe on this one. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

And there you have it.  26 NASL teams taken from the 1970's to the 2020's.  Hope you enjoyed it. 

Archived