Smarter Than The Maryland Sports Information Department

leopard88

Tooting my own horn, but I remember the Maryland-North Carolina game well and it was driving me crazy that the wrong information was cited in The Sun and on the BTN telecast.

Maryland confirmed that you are correct. Congrats!

ed

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 11:09 AM
To: Lee, Edward
Subject: RE: Three takeaways from Maryland men’s basketball’s 70-69 loss to No. 23 Wisconsin

Thanks.  I hate feeling like I’m being “that guy”, but it was driving me crazy.

Regards,

Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 10:58 AM
To:

I passed your email along. Will update when I get a response.

Ed

Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 10:08 AM
To:
Lee, Edward
Subject: RE: Three takeaways from Maryland men’s basketball’s 70-69 loss to No. 23 Wisconsin

Ed,

Thank you.  I assumed as much since it is was noted by both you and the BTN commentators.

I’m surprised they would get it wrong.  Do you have a way to pass on the correct information?

Regards,

Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 10:05 AM
To:

That information came from Maryland’s sports information department.

Ed

Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 8:45 AM
To:
Lee, Edward
Subject: Three takeaways from Maryland men’s basketball’s 70-69 loss to No. 23 Wisconsin

Mr. Lee,

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-maryland-mens-basketball-wisconsin-takeaways-20220110-yiyalv7qizgurnl3ckmyddrt4m-story.html

This article seems to state that Maryland’s biggest comeback in men’s basketball is the 21 point comeback against North Carolina State in the 2004 ACC Tournament.  The commentators on the BTN telecast stated the same information.  However, I am fairly certain it is incorrect.

As I fondly remember, Maryland rallied from a 22 point deficit to beat North Carolina in 1997, so I searched for the game information on Google while watching the game on Sunday night.  That search led me to the link below.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/09/sports/maryland-down-by-22-shocks-north-carolina.html

I’m curious as to what your source is regarding the largest comeback since the BTN commentators made the same mistake.  I reviewed the Maryland Basketball media guide, but didn’t see an entry in my admittedly very brief review.

Regards,

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

27 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

I will give you the same title that some of my friends have given me:

THE CORRECTOR!!!!

😁

Nice.

A corrected version of the article was online as of this morning.  I was telling my son I was sure I was right while we were watching the game, so it was good receive confirmation.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived