Rank relocations by how much they offended your sensibilities

34 minutes ago, FrutigerAero said:

Does anyone think the Raiders should have moved to LA and the Chargers should have moved to Vegas?

No, no, a thousand times no. The Chargers should have stayed in San Diego with a new stadium in the Jack Murphy parking lot (which is eventually what San Diego got, just scaled down). I absolutely hate their move, as I said in this thread, and to see them go to Las Vegas would be just as much of an indignity as the move to Los Angeles was for them and the move to Las Vegas itself was for the Raiders. Los Angeles is a one-team NFL market and Las Vegas is just a big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At the risk of getting into fantasy booking, it would have been neat to see the Chargers split 2021 between the L.A. Coliseum and Petco Park before moving into a new Snapdragon Stadium that could accommodate the NFL. That should have been the extent of the return of the Los Angeles Chargers: home-away-from-home games against the Raiders and Cowboys. Everything else has sucked.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

[wrong thread]

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, FrutigerAero said:

I know literally nothing about the Whalers relocation

Team was owned by a consortium of Hartford insurance companies, sold to a group of businessmen who didn't have much money, who sold again in '94 to a software-dev group out of suburban Detroit. Intent was always to move the team to suburban Detroit but went through the dog and pony show of asking for a publicly funded arena. They would have gotten away with it except the Patriots were looking into moving to the Hartford riverfront and the governor went all in on poaching the Patriots from Massachusetts and letting the Whalers go. Whoops, Patriots were never really serious about Hartford and were just trying to get Massachusetts to pay for widening US-1 in Foxborough or something. I think the governor later went to prison.

Whalers announce they're leaving without saying where they're going, new owner, who has a weird blood feud with Mike Ilitch, tries to move them to the Palace of Auburn Hills, Ilitch via Bettman makes it eminently clear that that is not an option. They halfheartedly explore moving to an abandoned aircraft hangar in Columbus but that goes nowhere. NC State basketball wants a new arena to compete with UNC so they rope the Whalers into moving to Raleigh so that the state can justify a publicly funded pro-calibre facility, but that arena doesn't exist yet, so they spend two years in Greensboro first with minimal attendance/television/radio. And then they went on to develop the most annoying fanbase in sports.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫