Blizzard & Yeti-on-a-Stick

sparkychewbarky

NOT a DQ fast-food combo, but rather a few thoughts on a new Utah NHL franchise identity.

Looks like it's gonna be "Yeti" & that's OK... "UTAH Yeti" sounds pretty good.

But do you follow the mythical "KRAKEN" into the fray with another mythical creature moniker?

The mighty KRAKEN surfaced with a huge Davey Jones treasure chest full of great nautical references, & Adidas absolutely nailed the look.👍

I'm not sure though, that the Yeti brings as much to the party so, I'd go with the more utilitarian "BLIZZARD"...

It's got the double-Z thing happening (as a tie-in with the Jazz)...can be shortened to the "BLIZZ"...&, a yeti can still be part of the branding. (more on that later)

For starters (and this is gonna sound like a cop-out), I'm okay with the diagonal "UTAH"...

spacer.png

The front of a hockey sweater is a big hunk of real estate, so,  IMO, "multi-component logos" look great...

The iconic Rangers & Sweden's Tre Kronor offerings are excellent examples...

spacer.png

If it's just going to be the 4 letters on the sweater front, I'd JAZZ them up a bit (see what I did there?😉).

I'd notch them up and throw in a skew (to suggest a horizontal motion/force) & add some colour on the letters before cascading them down the front of the sweater...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Utah HC seems to have already decided on the deep-sky blue, mountain-cap white, and black-rock black.

To complete the topography lesson, I'd throw in a touch of gold to rep Utah's golden canyons & deserts, and to add a bit of heat to an otherwise cool palette.

An inverted "V" striping makes sense for Utah with its mountain ranges...

spacer.png

It's a personal preference, but I like the numbers on top of the shoulders (a la Florida) which leaves some space on the upper arms...

spacer.png

• Like 2

I gotta give The_Admiral full credit (or blame😉) for this next element...

A while ago, The_Admiral posted an obscure gem from the late 90's...

When the Quebec Nordiques left town, the IHL slid into the void with the "Rafales" (French for "wind gust")...

spacer.png

The team folded after a couple of years, but they featured a fun logo of a yeti boarding on a hockey stick...Perfect for a part in a Utah identity IMO...

I threw it onto a windswept "U", and made it a little more aggressive...

spacer.png

Not sure if it's "main-logo" worthy, but I think it's fine for a secondary.

I placed it on the upper sleeves, and the symmetrical "U" allows for "flippage" to have the yeti facing forward on both sides...

spacer.png

• Like 1

So...

Home...

spacer.png

Away...

spacer.png

And for a "Black Diamond Edition" alt, the boarding yeti takes front & centre...

spacer.png

It's got a bit of an old Pittsburgh jersey vibe to it but it's different enough.

Anyway...

Thanks for dropping by...Congrats & Good Luck to Utah!👍

• Like 7

I love that you combined elements of the Quebec Rafales (SP?) along with the use of Black Diamonds! I’d love to see something like this happen if the permanent name becomes the Yeti!

Have you considered swapping out the Gold for Copper?  Copper may be a better tie-in with the state than the gold IMO.

Edited by DustDevil61
Elements, tie-in

Insert Signature Here?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I love that you combined elements of the Quebec Rafales (SP?) along with the use of Black Diamonds! I’d love to see something like this happen if the permanent name becomes the Yeti!

Have you considered swapping out the Gold for Copper?  Copper may be a better tie-in with the state than the gold IMO.

I think you're right, DD... Gold's a little overused right now with Vegas & the Ducks.

Copper would be a little more unique and would work just fine...

Thanks!

I'm sorry to say, but I think adding the gold makes it look a little too similar to the San Jose Sharks or even the Jacksonville Jaguars

IMO, Utah should go with a light blue and purple color scheme to match with the Jazz

I like it a lot but I think the teal and gradient feels out of place, almost Jacksonville Jaguars vibes, where I think the blue and black would look a lot cleaner and fit the vibe a lot better.

tinysig.jpg

Not sold on wordmark jerseys at the top level but for one of those types it does look good.  I'll jump on the substitution of copper for gold bandwagon.

With the post labelled with Yeti on a Stick, and it being a Chewbarky post, my first thought was Yeti on a Stick was going to be a food concession item ;)

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

On 8/30/2024 at 7:50 PM, DustDevil61 said:

Gave it a try, DD...👍

On 9/6/2024 at 1:58 PM, greyraven8 said:

Not sold on wordmark jerseys at the top level but for one of those types it does look good.  I'll jump on the substitution of copper for gold bandwagon...

Hey greyraven8...how goes it?...a blast from the past!😀...

I'm usually not big on wordmark sweaters also... but with a 4-letter name, I think it could work for "UTAH".

I tweaked the gold to give it more of a copper feel...

did a lousy job (a little too orange-y), but toning down the yellowish gold into the more brownish/orangish copper looks pretty good combined with the sky blue & black...

spacer.png

• Like 3