NCAA Basketball Courts

slapshot

While watching some early season NCAA men's basketball on ESPN, I noticed new markings on the courts, in addition to the regular markings. I remember last year the NCAA experimented with some rules during preseason, to get an idea if they want to implement the new rules full time.

Here is the NCAA description of the temporary markings:

In certified events and preseason exhibitions, men's basketball teams will be using experimental rules that could help shape the future of the game, including the use of a collegiate lane, extended three-point line and restricted-area arc. There will be no experimental rules in the women's game this year.

The extended three-point line, which is a total of 20 feet, six inches, is nine inches further from the basket than the current line used in NCAA play. The "collegiate lane," which was originated by the NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee, is 1½ feet wider on either side but angled after the last lane space to preserve the current 12-foot width at the free-throw line (elbow). Players will not be allowed in the first two lane spaces on each side of the lane to stand on the 12-inch neutral zone or block.

The restricted area arc is to be drawn 2 feet from the center of the basket ring. An offensive player should not be charged with an offensive foul when a secondary defensive player has established position with one foot inside the restraining arc near the basket unless the defensive player is making a legitimate attempt to play defense and not attempting to draw a charge.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I like these new rules, especially the 3 point line being moved back and the restricted area arc which sounds like what they have in the NBA is a good idea, as well.

The 3 point line really isn't all that much of a difference, though, but I prefer how it's moved back from the high school 3 point line, but closer than the NBA 3 point line.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived