A career in sports marketing and design

nogamesnolan

I have a question and need to know some knowledge. I'm a graphic artist that is looking to start a career in graphics involving sports marketing. What pathways I should take to get started? I design personal projects for myself  like t-shirts, jerseys, patches, etc. I'm already in college working on my business administration degree. However, thatnot getting my hands dirty with the graphics and design. Thank you for those who wish to answer. I really need some advice

Hey Nolan. I'm younger than you, but hopefully this'll help. I'm entering the U. of Manitoba this fall with the intention of getting my business degree with a major in marketing or a double major in marketing and entrepreneurship. After that I will decide whether to take a few graphic design courses at a vocational/community college or go on to get my MBA. But if you want a graphics degree, your easiest (and cheapest) bet might be the community college route. After that, you're probably going to have to start small, and build up a resume. After that, if you're desperate to go into sports marketing, you could try one of the established companies (like Phoenix) or else try to make it on your own (although to pay the bills you'd probably have to branch out into the general market as well).

I know there's some established graphic designers here... what route did you guys take?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The industry standard is vector graphics, which are best done in programs like Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw. People on this board put out excellent work with raster programs like Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, and even MS Paint, but if you're serious about getting into this as a career, hook yourself up with Illustrator. If you're currently in University, you can probably get it for the Educational Discount (which makes it less than half price... somewhere around $100 US I believe... STL Fanatic would know).

Do you have a scanner? 'Cause me and most of the folks here would love to see the stuff you've been doing by hand.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

It helps to know most graphic / art programs.  Photoshop is the key.  Illustrator and Quark are major programs which are strongly recommended.  Plus, if you can get your feet wet with Dreamweaver, Corel Draw, Flash, you;ll be in good shape.  Colleges all over North America have courses for these programs.  Most have a multimedia or graphic design division.  It would be the way to go.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived