Eagles Jersey (early '90s) Lettering Question

BBTV

Hi. I hope someone out there can help me out with this. I apologize for the wordiness of this post.

I have an early '90s Seth Joyner authentic kelly green Eagles jersey. This is not a throwback, I actually purchased it in '91 or '92.

Authentics at that time did not come with player names on the back, so I had to have the "Joyner" added. When the store did it, they put the name on a twill name plate and the letters were stitched on.

Eagles jerseys from that era had letters that were screened onto a mesh (not twill) name plate. The letters were not standard block, they were thinner and sligtly more square at the corners. I can not find a picture to show you, but an observant Eagles fan from that era should know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the inaccurate lettering on my jersey has bothered me for 13 years now, and I want to do something about it. I'd like to get a new name plate made that is made out of the correct materials and lettering style and replace the one that is currently on my jersey.

Can anyone provide any advice for me? Specifically, I would like to know what store (or person) can create the name plate. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Thanks a lot. I'll give them a call. Maybe I can get just the name plate and have it sewn on.

If anyone else has any advice, feel free to post it here or PM me.

Thanks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No advice, but I can tell you how freakin' frustrating I think it is that these manufactuers can't bother to get simple things like lettering and numbering right. Today at the mall they had Reebok "authentics" for pretty much all the Eagles. Sewn on numbers and name, screened Eagles head on the sleeves. What a joke. And how about how impossible it is to get a Phillies jersey with the right name font AND numbers. A joke!!!

Wish Lurie wasn't so stubborn about the Kelly green days and he'd allow for a throwback day. I've seen enough of the black jersey's they're going to wear tomorrow again. Boring...

Bring back the Whale!

I have to agree with you on the whole Phillies jersey thing. They aren't even close, the things they sell in Philly.

As far as your lettering dilemna, I have a suggestion for you. If you are in the Philadelphia area, try Austin's Sporting Goods. They are located in Delaware County. I use them do get my hockey jerseys done. They will understand your situation.

Another idea. Try going to a font site. Even grab a game photo from pre 96 with those unis, and take it to them. They deal with a vendor in Texas who customizes everything.

Good luck

Thanks. I live in Manayunk, but I'm familiar with Havertown / Delco. I'll try them and the site provided by BRice.

Thanks everyone, I new this forum would be able to help me out.

No advice, but I can tell you how freakin' frustrating I think it is that these manufactuers can't bother to get simple things like lettering and numbering right. Today at the mall they had Reebok "authentics" for pretty much all the Eagles. Sewn on numbers and name, screened Eagles head on the sleeves. What a joke. And how about how impossible it is to get a Phillies jersey with the right name font AND numbers. A joke!!!

Wish Lurie wasn't so stubborn about the Kelly green days and he'd allow for a throwback day. I've seen enough of the black jersey's they're going to wear tomorrow again. Boring...

Hmmm...interesting on the eagles jersey. I just had an authentic eagles jersey in my hands and the eagle head was definatly a patch, not screened. Maybe it was an EQT jersey?

It certainly is interesting why they don't just use the same manufacturing process for the onthe field as they do for the ones they sell.

Of course perhaps someone with more knowhow than me can elaborate. But does Reebok even supply the on the field jerseys to the teams or is there an equipment manager like there is in baseball that does the lettering? Maybe reebok just sends the blank shells? But even then, they are different cause there's no elastic in the sleeves of the bears for example.

Anyway, yeah...eagles has the head as a patch on, at least on the jersey I had.

Archived