Scott Pioli...

Brian in Boston

... is staying in New England.

Reportedly, Pioli has turned down a 5-year, $15-million contract to take over as President of the Seattle Seahawks. Given that Pioli currently makes less than $1-million a year, this Seahawks fan thinks that it speaks volumes about the way the Seattle front-office situation is perceived by other executives around the NFL.

Pioli currently works for an owner who is personally passionate about the sport of football and doing business in the NFL without being meddlesome when it comes to letting the football "braintrust" do their jobs. Further, Pioli enjoys a mutually respectful and cooperative relationship with Head Coach Bill Belichik.

IMHO, in Seattle owner Paul Allen, Pioli sees a guy with the money to build an NFL organization second-to-none, but none of the personal passion for the game/business that Bob Kraft possesses. Additionally, I believe that Mike Holmgren strikes Pioli as the type of coach who is going to constantly engage in power struggles with the young executive.

Bottom line? I'm awfully concerned about the future of the Seahawks.

I hope the Patriots reward Pioli for his loyalty with a raise and contract extension. He could have received over 3 times his current salary with the Seahawks, and at least double elsewhere in the league.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I wouldn't be surprised if Pioli is in Cleveland after his contract runs out with the Patriots. He enjoys a close relationship with Romeo Crennel and rebuilding the Browns would be a terrific challenge... particularly if Pioli can help the Pats to a third consecutive Super Bowl title. I mean, what more we he have to prove in New England? Win or lose the Super Bowl next season, I see Pioli heading to the Browns.

Its interesting that both Scott Pioli and Eric Mangini have turned down money from elsewhere to remain in New England. Tells you something about why the Pats have been succesful maybe. Guys are prepared to stay for less money, and show there loyalty to the organisation rather than move on. Counts for players and coaches and administrators.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Piloli could have left for Cleveland now if he wanted, a team cant hold an assitant coach to a contract if he gets a higher position elsewhere. He chose to stay in New England out of loyality to Belicheck.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Pioli isn't an assistant coach, Tank; he's the VP of Player Personnel (AKA general manager). I don't think that applies here, so it wouldn't be loyalty to Belichick as much as loyalty to the Patriots.

Look at it this way; looks like Pioli is now in line for a big, fat contract extension from New England. And it's in the Patriots' best interests to lock him up.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

oh :wacko: I thought this was the guy who chose to become the new defense cooridnator instead of taking more money with the Browns or Dolphins.

In that case yes he deserves a big raise his persoal decision have bneen a key reason for the 3 Titles.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived