Slightly ot:winston cup to become nextel cup in'04

oz615

here an article i've found on www.jayski.com

------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, June 19th NASCAR has scheduled a news conference in New York City on Thursday morning, when Nextel, a Reston, Va.-based provider of wireless communications services, will be introduced as the new sponsor of what is now known as the Winston Cup series, several sources confirmed. Sources said NASCAR has all-but-completed negotiations with Nextel and will unveil the new sponsor for its top series in extravagant style in New York. Four-time Winston Cup champion Jeff Gordon has also been asked to attend and is expected to be on hand for the announcement, sources said. An advisory from NASCAR of the news conference is expected to be released sometime Tuesday, sources said. Nextel would take over the sponsorship deal that R.J. Reynolds Tobacco has had since 1972. Last week, The Charlotte Observer reported the deal could be worth as much to $90 million per year, including about $40 million for television advertising and other media buys

Personally, I think NASCAR is the worst "sport" ever. I liken it to watching interstate traffic, only with rolling billboards that occasionally get into flaming crashes. Formula 1 racing I like, but NASCAR... how can anyone watch cars drive around in a circle for three hours?

At any rate, good for NASCAR. Anything promoting the use of cigarettes should be done away with. Nice move on their part, though it doesn't make me like NASCAR any better. :)

I hate NASCAR as well. The cars are not as powerful as say an F1 engine. But every racing car out there is just a rolling billboard. It's just that a NASCAR is the most visible because the main sponsor's logo is on the hood and it's large compared to the signs on the tail of and F1 or CART cars.

Furthermore, I can't stand watching cars running in counter-clock wise circles for a long time (NASCAR and IRL). I like watching F1 and CART because most courses test the driving skills.

In a non-related sports topic:

As for cigarette sponsorships, I actually don't mind them at all. Do cigarettes kill people? Of course, but so do many products out there. People take it upon themselves to take up smoking. It's THEIR decision!

The fact that the governments sue the tobacco companies and prevent cigarette sponsorship is insane. Goverments already make billions in cigarette taxes. The only winners in these lawsuits are the lawyers.

As for the marijuana issue? I'll save for later!

I saw, I came, I left.

I hate NASCAR as well. The cars are not as powerful as say an F1 engine. But every racing car out there is just a rolling billboard. It's just that a NASCAR is the most visible because the main sponsor's logo is on the hood and it's large compared to the signs on the tail of and F1 or CART cars.

Furthermore, I can't stand watching cars running in counter-clock wise circles for a long time (NASCAR and IRL). I like watching F1 and CART because most courses test the driving skills.

if it makes anyone feel better the Winston/Nextel Cup is Driving on the road course in Sonoma ,CA this weekend,so there

There is a second race at Watkin's Glen NY as well. I just wish NASCAR had more street course races. How about running races in a clockwise direction on the speedways? Although, that might be more dangerous considering the steering wheel is on the left side of the car and these cars were designed to make left turns for the most part.  :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived