numbers that are "voluntarily" retired

DGivens87

Actually all the numbers are voluntarily retired. They're not involuntarily retired. They don't retire themselves to the chagrin of others.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cardinals have tried (whether intentionally or not--probably not) to give out Willie McGee's 51, but that won't happen for a long time without a fan revolt. Hopefully it is retired soon.

I remember the Cards gave 51 to Bud Smith a couple of years after Willie McGee retired and fans went nuts... he eventually switched to 52. I'm not sure if he threw his no hitter in 51, but I think he did, because I remember thinking that they were going to let him keep it after that. They didn't, and I think he was gone from the majors not too long after that.

The Cardinals have tried (whether intentionally or not--probably not) to give out Willie McGee's 51, but that won't happen for a long time without a fan revolt. Hopefully it is retired soon.

I remember the Cards gave 51 to Bud Smith a couple of years after Willie McGee retired and fans went nuts... he eventually switched to 52. I'm not sure if he threw his no hitter in 51, but I think he did, because I remember thinking that they were going to let him keep it after that. They didn't, and I think he was gone from the majors not too long after that.

I believe you are correct about Smith wearing 51 in that no hitter game, and I KNOW you are correct about wearing it at least for a bit.

Smith was sent with Mike Timlin and Placido Polanco to the Phillies for Scott Rolen, Mike Nickle, and cash. Timlin left (the very next year I think) for the Red Sox, Polanco remained but now is being paid a lot to be a utility player, and Smith has had injury problems (I'm not sure if they started before or after the trade).

I'm unable to find whether he is still with the Phillies or in baseball at all, but I do know he hasn't pitched in the bigs since he left the Cardinals.

Archived