numbers that are "voluntarily" retired

DGivens87

I was talking about this the other day with my friends, and all of us big Red Sox fans, and we got to thinking...since Roger Clemens left the Sox in 1996, NO ONE has worn 21 since he's left. Same treatment for Jim Rice's #14, although a clubhouse attendant was quoted as saying he does not give out #14 to any of the new players out of respect for Rice. I assume the same holds true for Clemens #21.

Which also gets me thinking...Since Drew Bledsoe has left the Pats, no one has worn #11, not even a 5th-string WR in training camp. All this leads me to believe that teams "privately" retire certain player numbers...anyone else have any other instances of this practice?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that although the Cowboys have no true retired numbers,no one has worn #12 since Staubach retired,and I believe the same holds true for #8(Aikman) and

#22(E.Smith).There's also a few other older Cowboys who've had this done as well unofficially.

98Falcons.png

Ryne Sandberg for the Cubs... no one wore 23 since he left in 1997 and at least one lifetime 23 played for the Cubs since-- Eric Karros (in 2003 he wore 32). Good move by the Cubs, since they now have formally announced its retirement.

Keeps them from having the problem like they have with another Hall of Famer -- Fergie Jenkins. His 31 wasn't 'unofficially' retired and a pitcher named Greg Maddux scooped it up. They didn't fix the oversight while Maddux was a Brave and now Maddux is back again with 31 and is reaching milestones in it. Who knows what they have planned for it.

Just from the teams I follow, I can think of Bulls #33 for Pippen not being worn and I rarely see #33 for the Cowboys or Staubach's #12 for that matter. They're in the ring of honor but the team doesn't retire numbers. I think I saw 33 on a DB last year but I've never seen another RB wear it.

EDIT: I took so long to post robbman slipped in with some of the same info... sorry.

This "silent" retiring also applies to NASCAR. Since Dale Earnhardt Sr. died in 2001, there hasn't been a #3 car on the track in the Cup Series.

No number has ever been retired from the league, but I believe NASCAR was going to let Childress, the owner of the #, retire it. He refused and let Dale Jr. do what he wanted with it. Junior didn't want to use it, so it remains unused.

It's annoying in MVP Baseball 2005 that they don't recognize retired numbers. Guess who was wearing #3 in Yankee Stadium? Mark McLemore. He's no slouch, but come on. That should have been fixed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the stars fans started a petition in 2000 to get the dallas stars to retire guy carbonneau's #21 for at least one season...

they accepted, and refused to let anyone wear it for the season after he retired...... but since then, they haven't given it out to anyone else either, even though several players have come to the stars ASKING to wear it...

off the top of my head, here's a list of players that wanted to wear carbo's 21, but were not allowed:

shaun van allen (wore 27 in 2000-01)

ted donato (wore 17 in 2000-01)

benoit brunet (wore 17 in in 2001-02)

jyrki lumme (wore 23 in 2001-02)

randy mckay (wore 12 in 2001-02)

plus, it wasn't given out to any of the stars rookies/tryouts in training camp... and the stars like to invite everyone and their dog to training camp (even fort worth brahmas)

there are rumors that to help win the fans back after the lockout, the stars plan to officially add #21 to the retirement banner, next to broten's 7, goldsworthy's 8, and masterton's 19.... not sure if i believe it, but i'd definately love to see it happen.

he's assistant GM of the team now, and possibly the biggest fan favorite in stars history... and without guy in 1999, we'd have no banner.

It's annoying in MVP Baseball 2005 that they don't recognize retired numbers. Guess who was wearing #3 in Yankee Stadium? Mark McLemore. He's no slouch, but come on. That should have been fixed.

They don't do that in any of the games, though, aside from the two league wide retirees -- Gretzky and Jackie Robinson. I think it would be too much to go in and program that, maybe when the PS3 comes out and they can do more with that sort of thing.

philly.png

I believe NASCAR was going to let Childress, the owner of the #, retire it. He refused and let Dale Jr. do what he wanted with it.

I heard Childress wanted to retire it but NASCAR refused to allow it saying they don't retire numbers for anyone.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Philadelphia 76ers:

2: Moses Malone is the only player to have worn #2 for the Sixers.

22: Andrew Toney's number. Somehow, Jim Jackson managed to slide on 22 in his brief stint with the Sixers. Same with Brian Shaw. Other than those two, no one.

One last interesting tidbit: Jamal Mashburn is listed as #24 on the 76er roster. 24 is retired for Bobby Jones. Any more clues needed that Mashburn will never play a game for the Sixers, and wind up retiring?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

They don't do that in any of the games, though, aside from the two league wide retirees -- Gretzky and Jackie Robinson. I think it would be too much to go in and program that, maybe when the PS3 comes out and they can do more with that sort of thing.

That's not even true, I could make #99 in NHL games

It seems to me that my old Ken Griffey, Jr Presents Major League Baseball or something like that game for N64 actually did have retired numbers programmed in. For the Cards, guys who were usually 1 were never assigned it...same for 2.

As for numbers like that...

No Cards player will wear 57 for a long time if ever. I don't know if they'll retire DK's number, but it's unofficially retired for now.

They've tried (whether intentionally or not--probably not) to give out Willie McGee's 51, but that won't happen for a long time without a fan revolt. Hopefully it is retired soon.

For the Blues, 16 hasn't been worn since Brett Hull left, and unless he returns I don't expect it ever will be.

I bet if I look hard enough in MVP 2005 there's some minor-league game-created Japanese guy named Scott Alvarez wearing 42

Ryne Sandberg for the Cubs... no one wore 23 since he left in 1997 and at least one lifetime 23 played for the Cubs since-- Eric Karros (in 2003 he wore 32). Good move by the Cubs, since they now have formally announced its retirement.

Keeps them from having the problem like they have with another Hall of Famer -- Fergie Jenkins. His 31 wasn't 'unofficially' retired and a pitcher named Greg Maddux scooped it up. They didn't fix the oversight while Maddux was a Brave and now Maddux is back again with 31 and is reaching milestones in it. Who knows what they have planned for it.

I'd imagine that they'll do for #31 what the Yankees did for #8 - retire it for both players. The Yanks retired #8 for Yogi Berra and for Bill Dickey in the same year, 1972 (the year that Berra was elected to the Hall).

In Monument Park, where the retired numbers are on display, you can see #8 twice:

tours_header.jpg

Which also gets me thinking...Since Drew Bledsoe has left the Pats, no one has worn #11, not even a 5th-string WR in training camp. All this leads me to believe that teams "privately" retire certain player numbers...anyone else have any other instances of this practice?

I have no problem with not giving out #11. Drew was great in his time and the Pats never make it to SB 36 without him in that Pittsburgh game.

That said, what ticks me off is the fact they gave out #14:

1) To a rookie!

2) To a wide reciever!

That's right. They gave out Steve Grogan's 14 to P.K. Sam. Anyone who has a sense of the Patriots history should know that this is just plain wrong.

patriotssignature.png

No one has worn #12 for the Eagles since Randall Cunningham. I think the team might (just might) retire it eventually.

Actually...a quarterback (non-drafted I think) was issued #12 in 1996 or 1997. He didn't make the club, though. I cannot remember his name, and it is killing me because I remember hazing him at training camp about not being able to hold Randall's jock.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Washington Redskins:

Sammy Baugh is the only player whose number (33) is officially retired, however they have some unofficial ones as well. No one has been issued Sonny Jurgensen's 9, Darrell Green's 28, and Joe Theismann's 7 (Though there was a controversy a couple years ago when Danny Wuerrfel tried to wear it in practice when he joined the team.

They include:

Sonny Jurgensen 9 -- Shane Matthews stirred up some controversy when he requested the number upon coming to the skins

Darrell Green 28

Joe Theismann 7 -- Another Spurrier guy Danny Wuerrffel actually wore it for a few practices before changing to 17

Mark Moseley 3

Charlie Taylor 42

Larry Brown 43

John Riggins 44

Bobby Mitchell 49

Art Monk 81

the Bills do not let anyone wear 32, although the only number officially retired by the Bills is 12, for The Almighty Jim Kelly. I don't think anyone should wear 32, or 34, 83 or 78... and possibly 56 for Talley... that is a lot and there are only so many numbers to go around so that probably won't happen.... but I think 32 will never be worn again by a Bills player.

Archived