Name That Team

clemster007

I think that "Black Panthers"is a good name, simply because of the history of the Panthers in NY

Actually, the Black Panthers were founded in Oakland, California and never enjoyed the sort of organizational leadership presence in New York City that they did in the Northern California community.

Further, a group of breakaway Nation of Islam members founded the New Black Panthers in New York City. This organization was instrumental in stirring up controversy following the September 11th attacks and has been roundly disavowed by the former leaders of the original Black Panther movement.

As a result, the Black Panthers identity really doesn't make a great deal of sense for a New York-based franchise. Besides which, it probably isn't the wisest choice for something as frivolous as a sports franchise. Original members of the Black Panthers would believe that it demeans the serious sociopolitical impact they were trying to have on the America of the 1960s and 1970s, while many people would think that adopting the name of an overtly revolutionary political movement was inappropriate.

I heard there was a lot of protesting in Charlotte when the owner decided he would name the team the "Panthers" and their primary color would be black.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived