Ireland Soccer and Rugby

DEAD!

This may only interest very few people, but the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) who oversees it's national sports (gaelic football and hurling among others) will allow it's soccer and rugby teams to play at Croke Park. It will played there while Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_i...mes/4452449.stm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/othersports/showne...ntent=R041608AU

I saw, I came, I left.

Just to explain further, Coke Parkwas the scene of a famous incident in the Itrish Civil War, or the early battle for Home Rule in Ireland, I can't exactly remember which! But anyway ever since the GAA has kept it to itself. Soccer was seen as an English game, and the Ireland Rugby team is a united Ireland team, and as such often has some Northern Irish players on the team. In the world of irish politics this is a bafd thing!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Just to explain further, Coke Parkwas the scene of a famous incident in the Itrish Civil War....

What? When the GAA sell the stadium's naming rights :D

Ha ha obviously my typing is a bit out of practice!!!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Just to explain further, Coke Parkwas the scene of a famous incident in the Itrish Civil War....

What? When the GAA sell the stadium's naming rights :D

Ha ha obviously my typing is a bit out of practice!!!!!

So is my grammar :lol:(a bit of an inside joke there)

I saw, I came, I left.

If I remember correctly, one of the concerns was that, if the Croker didn't open up to the "English" sports, the Irish rugby team was going to have to play their home games in Wales while Landsdowne underwent renovation.

This has been a pretty hot topic for a while over there. My impression was that most people supported opening up the stadium, while it was pretty much just the GAA that was against it.

Croke is named after a bishop from, I believe, Mayo, who did a great deal to further football and hurling in Ireland.

Archived