LA Angels win another round in court

Gothamite

Since we've been following this story on the board, I thought you guys might have an interest in this news:

Link here (LA Times)

June 28, 2005

Anaheim Loses Its Battle for Now

In another defeat for the city of Anaheim, a state appeals court ruled Monday that the Angels can call themselves the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for the rest of the season.

The 4th District Court of Appeal rejected the city's bid for an injunction that would have blocked the Angels from continuing to use the Los Angeles designation. The decision was announced late Monday afternoon on the court's website, and it left Anaheim Councilman Harry Sidhu wondering if the city should keep fighting the Angels in court.

So they're the LA Angels for at least the rest of the season. They're also looking pretty good to win in court in November, if the city even fights it that long.

Myself, when they do win, I'd like to see them put "Los Angeles" on the roads. And not just because I already worked up a couple concepts for it:

losangeles_angels.gif

losangeles_angels_bluecaps.gif

Pretty soon, they're going to get the right to change the name of the place they play to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Edison Power & Light Field at Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim brought to you by BellSouth Park in Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim NBC Studios Stadium. How pathetic. Just change the name entirely already. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Somehow, the Los Angeles Devils seems to me to be a good name.......

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Thanks, Chris. I tried to put a halo on the blue caps once, but it didn't look good in this view. Maybe I'll mock up some 3/4 view for it.

Just change the name entirely already.

Hey, he's trying. This silly halfway name is required under the contract. Soon as he can get out from under the legal obligation, they'll be just the "LA Angels" again.

good point Gothamite - I don't know the owners of the Angels or anything, since I live in GA, but it seems to me that somebody in the legislature out west doesn't know how to write a contract in such a way as to prevent name changes unless the team actually moves...... :D

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

It was the city's lawyers who screwed up. When they wrote the contract with Disney to put money into the ballpark, they included a clause that the name "Anaheim" had to "appear in the name" or something odd like that.

After it was signed, they realized the size of the loophole and tried to get Disney to change the contract. Disney turned them down flat, and I suspect the city's lawyers have been living in fear that someone would find their mistake and exploit it. Which Moreno did. And technically, he's in full compliance with the contract, which is why the Angels keep winning in court. If Anaheim continues to fight it (and that's a big if, considering their legal bills are already half a million bucks), I expect the Angels to keep winning until it's over.

Personally, I believe that in a couple years Moreno'll either work out a new deal with Anaheim or buy them out of what's left on the contract. I see this name as a strictly temporary situation.

Archived