Need help choosing a team name

dgnmrwrw

GRAYS IS NEVER A GOOD NAME

Grey is a boring color. Red and blue are fine colors. Brown is passable, but at least it's not grey. Grey is what you get when you suck the color out of something. I hate it. I don't care what the Negro League team from Pittsburgh did. Grey is terrible. Stop supporting it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The only positive thing that came of Charlotte's first NBA team moving to New Orleans is that the franchise-shift freed up the Hornets name to someday be used by a Charlotte-based MLB team.

The Charlotte Hornets - established in 1901 - were the city's first professional baseball team. Baseball teams playing under that moniker represented the Queen City at a variety of affiliated minor-league levels from 1901 to 1973, winning eleven championships in the process. In point of fact, Charlotte's original NBA franchise was the team to "borrow" the Hornets identity.

Bottom line? You shouldn't avoid Charlotte's rich baseball heritage when naming your team, you should embrace it. Further, the Hornets identity pays homage to the city's history, inasmuch as it refers to General Cornwallis' assessment of the region during the Revolutionary War ("a veritable nest of hornets").

IMHO, there's just one team name that would suit a Charlotte-based baseball team: the Charlotte Hornets.

TCR: If I go with Grays, I've already got the colors picked out. They're taken from the coat of the Gray Fox. While there are earth tones in the scheme, I don't think they are boring.

Brian in Boston: It's not that I'm running from Charlotte's baseball heritage, it's just that I wanted to do a name that hadn't been done before (the same reason I was wary of "Bats"). But you are right: if a real MLB team were to come to Charlotte, then Hornets would be perfect.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived