Need help choosing a team name

dgnmrwrw

OK, I need everyone's input for a MLB team I want to work on to be based in Charlotte, NC, an idea which has been thrown around lately.

I had picked "Charlotte Monarchs," based on the history behind the names of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. I even did some basic logos and uniforms, but it just isn't working. I want something more concrete, so I'm trying to decide between a bunch of animal names.

Here are the ones I've considered. All of them could work, but none of them are really standing out as being good, so any input anyone could give to help me decide would be greatly appreciated.

Charlotte Grays: For the Gray Fox, which is very common in NC. I kinda like the sound of this one, but I don't really want the name to invoke images of the Civil War. Also considered Charlotte Foxes, but I don't think "Foxes" would work for a team full of guys.

Charlotte Hawks: Again, another common animal, this time the Broad-Winged Hawk. But it's kind of bland, and there are already many bird names in the MLB.

Charlotte Bats: For any number of bats common in NC. I'm wary of this one because of what could be limited color choices. Also, Greensboro (a little bit north of Charlotte) had a minor league team called the Bats for years (now the Grasshoppers).

Charlotte Boxers: For the Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina), NC's state reptile. See these guys everywhere down here. Here I'm not wild about the name "Boxers," but I don't really think "Box Turtles" works any better.

Charlotte Bullfrogs: Just a common animal that I thought would be a unique mascot and lend itself to pretty unique colors. Not very intimidating, though.

and finally...

Carolina Parakeets: The Carolina Parakeet was once very common throughout the southeastern U.S. It had great colors: rust red, bright yellow, and green. Problems with this one: Not a name that will put fear into the hearts of your enemies. And also, they're freakin' extinct.

So that's where I stand. I really want to make a set for this team, so let me know which one(s) you guys prefer.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Charlotte Bullfrogs: Just a common animal that I thought would be a unique mascot and lend itself to pretty unique colors. Not very intimidating, though.

unless you gave it a sword or a gun or something equally imposing

would rock a Bullfrogs hat any day.

if it looked tight i would too

I say go with Parakeets.

There are tons of bird names in the MLB and Charlotte would be down from the Orioles.

Also Grays would work out perfectly with the road uniforms. To me, Grays doesn't soudn civil war but rathers just simple old time baseball.

Try the the Carolina Nine. That might work too. References the baseball teams players and I'm sure there is something in Carolina that there are nine of.

isnt a tar hell a ram? might want to do something like that. i dont really like any of the choices you listed. if i had to pick one i would say boxers.

"Tar Heel" is a reference to a group of NC soldiers in the Civil War (I believe). Something about them staying on the field of battle, not retreating, because of the tar stuck to their heels. UNC Chapel Hill took the name, and added a ram mascot.

The ram was created as an offiical mascot for UNC because of a famous/popular fullback that would ram his way for touchdowns...

On the topic...

Out of these, I think the Grays is the best...you could go in a lot of different directions with the logo, and I too, like the others, think it's a good homage to the past.

Charlotte Hornets. They've already used that name on a football and a basketball team, so why not go for the trifecta??

So they'll probably play in an empty stadium, then?

ZING! Let's not forget all the years that the NBA Charlotte Hornets led the league in attendance before the ownership and the city turned against each other.

I think I'll go with Grays, unless there's some huge change in opinion.

The White Sox's AAA team is the Charlotte Knights, and I think that's the best name.

Yeah it's a good name. I was trying to avoid previous NC baseball names, like Knights, Bats, Hornets, etc.

Archived