MLB Mgrs

hormone

I rarely post so forgive me if this was posted already at some time. I have a few questions about MGRs in MLB.

I don't know why anyone would want one, but why can't you get a jersey with the Mgr's name/number? Is it due to like a player association and they're not part of it and that you're only allowed current players/teams?

Do they ever wear a uni anymore? I know they are supposed to be in uni because they touch the field, etc, but every mgr I see any more wears a team color long sleeve shirt with a team windbreaker over it no matter what time of day or a short sleever with a short sleeve windbreaker. McClendon, Francona, and Pinella come to mind right as I type this (with a buzz :D )

Oh well, just wondering...

KISSwall09.jpg

It's probably due to a players' association agreement. I'd guess that's why you don't even see throwbacks of managers' jerseys from companies like Mitchell & Ness.

I can tell you why Francona always wears a sweatshirt. A few years ago, he either had a heart attack or a stroke (not sure which), and the medication he currently takes makes him always feel chilly. So he'll wear that sweatshirt even if it's 90 degrees, and almost always during press conferences.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Managers, Coaches and players who are not members of the MLBPA are not part of the agreement regarding personalized uniform sales and official customizers are excluded from selling their jerseys.

As far as throwbacks, Mitchell and Ness has made jerseys for managers. Among the jerseys I've seen for sale are '62 and '64 Casey Stengel Mets jerseys, the '69 Gil Hodges Mets jersey and they are currently selling the 1969 Ted Williams Washington Senators jersey.

The rule on managers was that they have to be "in uniform" to be on the field. Wearing a team jacket or windbreaker has always been considered "in uniform" for managers and pitchers on the basepaths. I've never figured out why base coaches were excluded from this. I'm not sure when it became permissible to wear just a shirt or sweatshirt with the team logo, but I'm sure MLB Properties has something to do with it. I think Pete Rose started doing this with the Reds after he retired as an active player.

Archived