Busch Stadium Countdown

pcgd

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for reviving this thread but...

...Jack McKeon pulled off number 25. :blink:

McGwire apparently doesn't want much to do with St. Louis and I hear the feeling's mutual.

McGwire just doesn't seem to want to step back into the spotlight. He hasn't since he left baseball, and the fact that people through steriods out at him left and right probably makes him want to even less.

He was invited to do number 25, but declinded saying his family was vacationing at that time. I've heard some speculation that niether he nor the Cards really wanted to see the scene that could happen if he did come back, so the Cards asked him to come up with an excuse. I've only heard that as fan speculation, nothing insider about it, and I tend to doubt it.

The Cardinals have sent him a formal invitation to come to the closing ceremonies, but the latest is that he hasn't responded.

As for Brett Hull, he could come back easily. I'm not sure he'd be invited, but many in the city (me!) still love him and would have liked the Blues to sign him the last couple times he's been a free agent. The Blues didn't try too hard, and maybe he's burned his bridges with the Blues current front office, but he hasn't burned his bridges with the entire city or franchise. I was mad at Hull for a few years after he left, plus I really disliked the teams he was on, but now I can see the Blues were at fault for him leaving too, and I still like the guy. I don't know if it's possible anymore, but if there's anyway (free agency if he doesn't retire, deadline deal, etc.) he could play for the Blues again I want him to.

In an interview last year, he was asked about what team he'd go into the Hall of Fame with, and he said "My heart's still in St. Louis" (possibly not exact).

I should also mention real quick that first thing, Jack McKeon actually pulled off number 26.

Second, there has been a few times this year that there has been a last minute replacement to do it. Once it was someone in the front office. When the second oldest baseball player was going to do it, I believe he left early so someone else did it.

I think McGwire would have had a nice welcome had he done it. But I can't blame him. He was always a private person and the events of the past year have made it even harder for him to be in the public spotlight.

Archived