Managers' pullovers

Brick

capt.1060813178.orioles_devil_rays_spd105.jpg

capt.1061004321.yankees_orioles_bab107.jpg

I've noticed that managers are wearing pullovers, not the traditional jacket. In hot weather I'm surprised they're not wearing the standard uniform top.

Anybody know the reason for this trend? Also, if someone can point me to a web page where this item is sold, that would be helpful.

It's because so many of the managers have gotten so huge over the course of the season their jerseys (which are custom-measured in the spring) no longer fit right or they're too fat to wear them in the first place. Buck Showalter said he never wore one in Arizona for that reason.

BRice16

Some players wear them in the dugouts, too, and they were around since at least last year. Of all the official jackets, it is the lightest weight, so during the summer it gets worn more often. There is a long sleeve and a short sleeve version, and MLB.com only seems to have the long sleeve one.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

For some of the old managers, its not a bad look with the pullovers, considering the build of some of the managers in MLB. Watching some managers in those tight uniforms just doesn't look right. (Some make David Wells look like a bodybuilder) I wonder how some of hte players feel about an MLB coach wearing a team uniform, while in other major sports, the coaches wear suits...

I suppose it's one of those traditional things in MLB that will never change, managers having their own uniform. It would look kinda odd to see Joe Torre to come out of the dugout in a suit and tie like an NBA or NHL coach, and likewise to see Phil Jackson in shorts and a sleevless or Marc Crawford decked out in pads and a Canucks Jersey

Archived