Red Sox Fans

worst. jersey. ever.

The Sox did wear slightly different red caps (white B instead of navy) at home for select games in 1998 or 1999...the cap just didn't look quite right with the current traditional belt-and-button unis. Not terrible...just not all that great either. The red caps were supposed to be worn frequently throughout the season (along with a white cap with a red B and navy visor), but they were both scrapped only a couple of weeks into the season.

I am quite surprised that the Red Sox didn't bring back the red caps and 1973-78 pullover unis for their series this year with the Cincinnati Reds. The throwbacks could have been a neat way to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the legendary World Series.

Also, it's important to note just how daring the Sox were in 1979. At the very height of the wild color, double knit era, they reverted back to much less bright uniforms featuring traditional belts and buttons. The roads in particular looked like they were stitched by Betsy Ross. A few years later, every team was following suit and ditching the technicolor pullovers....except of course teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and a few others who never strayed from tradition in the first place.

the 70s and 80s are my favorite eras in baseball uniforms- though some were absolutely awful (the padres), the light blue away jersey and pants era are some of my favorites.

as for the red red sox cap, its probably my favorite cap of all time, because of highlights from the 75 series, Carlton Fisk and Bill Lee, and being a Sox fan, that means a lot to me. I used to own it, but I lost it unfortunately :-/

I am quite surprised that the Red Sox didn't bring back the red caps and 1973-78 pullover unis for their series this year with the Cincinnati Reds. The throwbacks could have been a neat way to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the legendary World Series.

I'll give you a hint: those unis suck.

Archived